Problems from hardwiring radar to rear view mirror wires

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

log

Problems from hardwiring radar to rear view mirror wires

Postby log » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 am

So I hardwired my radar detector to the powered rear view mirror. I (thought I) verified that the power wasn't getting to the mirror. Anyways I got the ground wire no problem. The positive wire was another story. I started to get the wire exposed and all of a sudden saw a little spark and got the magic white smoke. Right away I realized that I hit the Homelink wire and it is live wire 100% of the time. Thankfully I was working with the connector harness unplugged from the back of the rear view mirror.

Anyways, I plugged the wire back in and the garage door opener no longer works nor does the red light come on. Since the wire was now exposed, I tested the wire and there is no longer any power running to the wire.

I have a few questions....

1 - the actual Homelink Transceiver is located in the rear view mirror, right?
http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51/Service/BL.pdf (page119) - so there would have been no damage to it.
2 - What is my best option to repair this?
a) replace connectors, one is at the back of the mirror the other I'm not sure where it is or how to replace it. http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51/Service/PG.pdf - page 83 - says its the main harness (M4) Also, since there is no power getting to the wire I would assume that the main harness needs to be replaced.
b) run a wire from the positive battery terminal (with an in-line fuse) directly to the rear view mirror, cut the original wire, connect to the new wire and replace the harness (if necessary).

I am thinking that option b) would be the best and easiest repair.... thoughts (besides I am a dummy for not disconnecting the battery)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am

This is a classic example of why people shouldn't experiment on there cars or trucks. Being a mechanic I see tons of wiring problems when they start tapping into wires that should not be tampered with. Most of them end with cab fires.

To do this correctly you need to make a new complete circuit for this devise with a appropriate wire size and fuses as well as getting power from a good sorce
Last edited by Captain on Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

log

Postby log » Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 am

Captain caveman wrote:This is a classic example of why people shouldn't experiment on there cars or trucks. Being a mechanic I see tons of wiring problems when they start tapping into wires that should not be tampered with. Most of them end with cab fires.

To do this correctly you need to make a new complete circuit for this devise with a appropriate wire size and fuses as well as getting power from a good sorce
;)

log

Postby log » Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 am

Got everything fixed up last night.

Captain Caveman - I won't mention how I fixed it... ;) Thanks for your help though!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”