MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, RECAL. DOES IT WORK?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, RECAL. DOES IT WORK?

Postby KEVSTER » Wed May 20, 2009 5:38 pm

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=5530 Does this work or a waste of money?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:34 am

They didn't list "how" it work but assuming that sensor works like all other MAF sensors I'd skip it. To me it's indicative of the mod where you put a resistor in-line with your temp sensor to fool the vehicle into thinking it's cold so it runs in rich mode all the time.

I have to ASSume (maybe incorrectly) that the sensor has been intentionally mis-calibrated so that the air flow reading will be padded higher by some % causing the ecm to think there is more air and therefore the engine requires more fuel to keep from leaning out. If the sensor works in this fashion I wouldn't doubt that it will actually net you an increase in power. But at the cost of lower mpg at all times (where as proper fuel map tuning would affect WOT and heavy throttle applications mostly while probably netting better MPG at off-idle and cruise applications), potential excessive engine wear because of the fuel washing down the cylinder walls and accelerated wear on the cats/O2 sensors.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 am

blink32 wrote:They didn't list "how" it work but assuming that sensor works like all other MAF sensors I'd skip it. To me it's indicative of the mod where you put a resistor in-line with your temp sensor to fool the vehicle into thinking it's cold so it runs in rich mode all the time.

I bet thats all it is ... since the air temp sensor is built into the MAF on these ...so its basically a stock MAF with a resistor added to the air temp sensor portion ... Huge waist if $$

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 am

Very good point. WASTE O MONEY.. :wink:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”