The Pathfinder has no character

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Cooper993

The Pathfinder has no character

Postby Cooper993 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:06 pm

OK, flame me all you want, but out of all the cars and suv's I've owned, the Pathfinder has no character.

It does its job well and fits my needs, but it does it in a very bland way. I had a Tahoe and a Bronco and those trucks were more than just transportation to me. I cared about them more and thought of ways to upgrade them to be even better.

For the Pathfinder, I made some basic mods (bull bar, air bags, electric brake, off road driving lights) but other than that, I really don't care to do much to it (until I find a suspension system that meets my needs).

Maybe it's just me. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Well, you know what they say about opinions? *Coughs* Everyone's got one.

I guess to each his own.

Gonzo

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 pm

So you're complaining because the Pathfinder comes OEM completely capable of your needs, and doesn't need to be modified like the GM and Ford trucks you've owned??? :?:

Thats like being pissed because the new pants you bought fit nicely, and didn't need to be tailored like all the others you've bought in the past.

As far as character, I can maybe see a point with the Bronco. The Bronco has quite a history and has made a decent name for itself throughout the years. But a Tahoe? Don't see that one. Talk about one of the most useless vehicles ever created! A minivan for guys who don't want a minivan. Sorry, but IMO, full-size SUV's are completely pointless. And this includes the Armada, so I'm not discriminating.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:48 pm

so why did u buy then? tard..... :roll:

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 am

If I were to call something bland it would be a Ford Explorer or a Chevy Tahoe or TrailBlazer. From great looks and capability to peppy engine to all of the little engineering gems integrated into this truck, the Pathfinder is anything but lacking in character.

You said it yourself, it's just you, but you're entitled to your opinion.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm not much into modding, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are many more mods available for the Bronco or Tahoe than the Pathfinder. It sounds like your mods are geared toward offroad driving and I don't think there has been much for Nissan until just recently with the redesigned of the Path and the introduction of the Titan. There are several companies that have been making aftermarket 4x4 parts for Ford and Chevrolet trucks for decades. You have many, many more choices when it comes to personalizing your vehicle to you liking for the American trucks. Maybe that's why you don't have as much desire???

I have driven several Ford and Chevrolet trucks/suv's and to me their steering feel is very poor compared to the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder almost feels sports car like compared to others. C&D even said this in a comparo they did back in '05. To me, stock vs. stock, the Pathfinder has much more character than the others.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:53 pm

I think you guys hit the nail on the head. I used my Tahoe (2 dr version) off road a fair amount. The mods I had were a Borla exhaust (NA on the PF), Bilstein SUV shocks (NA on the PF), American Racing wheels and tires (still looking for a set for the PF) and other misc performance mods.

After going to both Kentucky and Shenandoah valley, VA and spending a fair amount of time off road in the PF, even my GF mentioned that the Tahoe was much more of a "real" truck than the PF.

Maybe if someone comes out with a better suspension for the PF (I don't want to lift it), then this will minimize the bouncy characteristics the PF seems to have.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:27 pm

If you don't like it SELL IT. By any POS GM and have all the problems they can offer in 1 year.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 am

Cooper993 wrote:I think you guys hit the nail on the head. I used my Tahoe (2 dr version) off road a fair amount. The mods I had were a Borla exhaust (NA on the PF), Bilstein SUV shocks (NA on the PF), American Racing wheels and tires (still looking for a set for the PF) and other misc performance mods.

After going to both Kentucky and Shenandoah valley, VA and spending a fair amount of time off road in the PF, even my GF mentioned that the Tahoe was much more of a "real" truck than the PF.

Maybe if someone comes out with a better suspension for the PF (I don't want to lift it), then this will minimize the bouncy characteristics the PF seems to have.
you can probably have a competent muffler shop fab an exhaust from mandrel bent tubing and some magnaflow mufflers... with borla, you are paying a lot of money for the name. you might only get an 4 hp gain with the shop built exhaust compared to 5 hp with a borla, but you can probably save a crap-ton of money. pair that exhaust with a volant air intake, and a superchips cortex programmer, and you will have some decent power gains.

i have bilstein shocks on my PF... from the factory. you can probably buy them from nissan, if you want to pay out the, well, you know what. there are also other shocks available for the PF: Icon, Rancho, RadFlo...

american racing wheels... go to http://www.americanracing.com/appguide/index.asp , select your year/make/model. look at the wheels. i see 40 wheels available for the PF. true, mainy of them look like elephant turds, but you wanted AR wheels... you got em.

as for the "better suspension"... what exactly do you want? stiffer suspension without a lift? buy some heavier springs. want it even stiffer, use steel pipes, and replace your shocks with solid struts.

Oh, and even though a lot of people here can attest to the off-road ability of the PF... if you were really a hard-core off roader, you would have NOT bought a truck with independent rear suspension.

~mike

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:06 am

Cooper993 wrote:the Pathfinder has no character.
In what sense? It certainly isn't your standard cookie cutter designs that everyone seems to have in common. If it has no character, what was it that made you buy one?
It does its job well and fits my needs, but it does it in a very bland way. I had a Tahoe and a Bronco and those trucks were more than just transportation to me. I cared about them more and thought of ways to upgrade them to be even better.
Bland? The V6 in my Pathfinder has far more power than the V8 in my previous Durango, and it feels far more solid to me. About the only must-have addition to the PF for me was better suspension. Everything else is fine.
LittleStevie wrote:If I were to call something bland it would be a Ford Explorer or a Chevy Tahoe or TrailBlazer.
All 3 of these are cars, especially the POS Trailblazer. Seriously, have a look underneath any of them-hard to imagine they would survive very long off road with all the crap sticking down waiting to be snapped off.

Cooper993 wrote: After going to both Kentucky and Shenandoah valley, VA and spending a fair amount of time off road in the PF, even my GF mentioned that the Tahoe was much more of a "real" truck than the PF.
The only thing "real" I see is that your GF likes full sized trucks instead of mid sized. Can't change that unless you get a different vehicle.
So basically this all boils down to the suspension? Or is it the suspension and character combined? The PF won't win any redneck awards, but if you replace the suspension, it will provide a truly off road worthy experience.

Tez

Re: The Pathfinder has no character

Postby Tez » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Cooper993 wrote:OK, flame me all you want, but out of all the cars and suv's I've owned, the Pathfinder has no character.
I'll agree but only in the sense that it is an empty canvas.

It's got some great lines but they require imagination. It can be lowered or lifted with good results. It looks good blacked out or chromed up.

I'm just getting started with mine and I feel the sky is the limit.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”