Gamrin mount and cable swap question

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Suliman

Gamrin mount and cable swap question

Postby Suliman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:52 pm

First has anyone swapped out the cable interface (and maybe mount) that comes with the Factory Nissan kit?

I have a Nuvi 765T that I want to stick in there, and it uses the GTM20 power cable that also has the FM traffic receiver on it.

markspath

Re: Gamrin mount and cable swap question

Postby markspath » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 am

Suliman wrote:First has anyone swapped out the cable interface (and maybe mount) that comes with the Factory Nissan kit?

I have a Nuvi 765T that I want to stick in there, and it uses the GTM20 power cable that also has the FM traffic receiver on it.
I've done it. You have to take the housing apart (itty-bitty phillips screws, as I recall) and remove the existing mount and power cable from the housing.

Then you attach the new mount and plug in the power cable/receiver. Put the housing back together.

Then I cut the cable supplied with the housing and put a cigarette lighter outlet in place of the mini USB plug. I plugged the power cord/receiver included with my Nuvi 760 into the outlet and wrapped with electrical tape, then bubble wrap, to keep it together and avoid rattles behind the dash.

Wrapped up the excess cable under the dash and finished installing the housing.

Everything works fine EXCEPT the FM transmitter. In Northern NJ there's no free FM frequencies. The one frequency you can use at the lower end is shared by everyone else in the area, particularly Sirius Radio users with over-powered FM transmitters. But traffic works just fine.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Great! This is good to know.

I found out from Garmin that the FM Traffic is tied to each cable. :( :( :(

So If I wanted to use it in another car, I'd have to buy a whole new 90-110 buck cable... grrrrrrr.

I may just use the included plug, but I may run it all the way to the fuse box, since taping the radio power seems goofy to me.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”