LED dome light problems

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Tez

LED dome light problems

Postby Tez » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:00 am

The middle dome light on my 2008 has the faintest flicker of light with the truck off, doors closed and the switch is set to door. It's not noticeable with incandescent bulbs but with the new LEDs it only took me one dark night to notice. I'll put a meter on it when I get home tonight. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same.

Tez

Postby Tez » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 am

I've got a full 7 Volts coming out of just the middle dome. Anyone else with a metter want to see if this is not only my problem? Probably is, but you never know.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Tez wrote:I've got a full 7 Volts coming out of just the middle dome. Anyone else with a metter want to see if this is not only my problem? Probably is, but you never know.
7 volts with or without the doors closed? I should have some new LED replacements arriving in the next few days, so I can meter it then.

Tez

Postby Tez » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:57 am

It's not really a LED problem. The LEDs just make the preexisting problem noticeable.

The 7 volts is doors closed, truck off or on. It's the switch itself that is the problem. In the center (door) position if I wiggle the switch just a tiny bit the 7 volts goes away.

I also found this to be true with the switch for the lights by the driver. Just a tap on the switch towards the on position and the LEDs have just a faint glow. I didn't have my meter with me last night so I could not measure what voltage was coming through there.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:45 am

Tez wrote: The 7 volts is doors closed, truck off or on. It's the switch itself that is the problem.
Yep, that's certainly a problem. I wonder if you can just buy a switch, or if you have to buy the whole assembly? Might be worth ripping it apart to see if you could use some type of off the shelf type of switch.

I've camped many times in absolutely pitch black conditions, so even with the stock lights, I would have noticed even a tiny bit of light leakage, but never have. I'll have a closer look at mine whenever I get the new LED bulbs in the mail.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 am

I have noticed that my switches (front and middle) don't "pop" into place as much as I would like them to. If I move the switch to the middle position, it almost jumps past it to the other far position. When sliding the switch to the middle position, I have to push it back and forth slightly to make sure it is settled.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 am

I installed my new LEDs yesterday afternoon. Even though I had my Fluke meter sitting next to me the entire time, I completely forgot about checking the voltage. I'm pretty sure it's because I was getting so pissed off with trying to remove the ceiling console without breaking it. Sorry.

I did check the switch though, and mine seems to be very firm with the movement. Even jiggling the switch doesn't do anything unless I fully move the switch from one position to another.

Tez

Postby Tez » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:34 pm

My switch is firm, or atlease it seems. It doesn't have to move much before I get the 7 volts to show up. Just putting my finger on it with just the slightest pressure causes the problem.

I'm thinking it is actually a manufacturing/design problem looking at the housing and switch.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”