Emergency Brake not holdin

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

xd9-g19

Emergency Brake not holdin

Postby xd9-g19 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 am

I just tried my e-brake for the first time since I got it and it does not hold the vehicle, I bought the vehicle used and due to it being automatic ive never really needed to use the e-brake. All my brake pads are fine with a lot of life left, my question is are there brake shoes on the rear wheels as well as pads or are they adjustable some how, haven't really pulled anything off yet but just wanted to ask first. Thanks in advance.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Emergency Brake not holdin

Postby disallow » Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am

xd9-g19 wrote:I just tried my e-brake for the first time since I got it and it does not hold the vehicle, I bought the vehicle used and due to it being automatic ive never really needed to use the e-brake. All my brake pads are fine with a lot of life left, my question is are there brake shoes on the rear wheels as well as pads or are they adjustable some how, haven't really pulled anything off yet but just wanted to ask first. Thanks in advance.
rear disks as far as I know. There would be an adjustment for the p-brake cable. Try looking it up on the service manuals on the forum.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I believe there are small shoes, which are located inside the disc hub. They are just worn out.

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed May 20, 2009 8:41 pm

the shoes are in the rear disc "hats".
There's no way you could wear them out unless you intentionally drove around with the e-brake on for a LOOONG time. And kept engaging it ever little while. Look up at the pedal. there's a 10mm nut on a threaded cable end. Tighten it. don't go nuts, or you'll have tension on it all the time and will be dragging the brakes. The last guy probrably just loved stomping on the pedal as hard as he could.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:56 pm

thanks will have to check that out.

bati

adjust this...

Postby bati » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm

xd9-g19 wrote:thanks will have to check that out.
I adjusted my ebrake with a 10mm here:
right above the foot brake

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 pm

yup! looks good! it's a bit of an extreme close up ;) but it looks like you got it! hows it working?

If you ever do your rear brakes and take the rotor off, you can slacken off the cable and adjust up your brakes with the star-wheel, that way you have all the adjustment from the beginning again. You can actually do this with the rotor on, but it's a pain if you go too far.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”