Braking issue?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 pm

You really have to watch some of these shops...last time I had my tires rotated at a reputable tire establishment, they torqued my lugs to over 150 ft-lb (maxed out my torque wrench!), which definitely could have caused rotor warpage. I always check and retorque my lug nuts after I get home, for this reason. It's amazing that they don't pay more attention to something so simple, but I guess they never see the consequences unless they break a stud in the shop.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 am

would that be covered under warranty?

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:56 am

ok the stealer informed me that brakes have a warranty of 12 months/12k miles.

so i consider that the lube...

he says that if there is a manufacturers defect then they'll be replaced under warranty.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 am

ok update!

wife and kids are back home with the car.

the dealer said that the warping was covered under the manufacturer's defect warranty and the brakes were resurfaced (cut).

my concern is if they were covered under the defect warranty, shouldn't they be replaced instead of cut? and shouldn't they have replaced the pads as well?

i spoke with the tech and he said that they weren't going to replace the rotors b/c they cut them, and the pads have 50% left on them so they weren't going to be replaced either.

shouldn't they replace the pads after cutting the rotors? shouldn't they have replaced the rotors if they were defective?

I called up Nissan USA and complained. Their answer was "we now have this documented".

WTF???

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:shouldn't they replace the pads after cutting the rotors?
Hell yes!
shouldn't they have replaced the rotors if they were defective?
That's a bit more unclear. I could see arguments made for/against resurfacing or replacing. I know if they told me the rotors were "defective," I would absolutely want them to replace the rotors.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:27 pm

i filed a complaint with the BBB just like the warranty booklet says!

its a 40 day process. :x

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 pm

You can never say for sure what caused it, unless you leave the dealer, hit the highway and find pulsation that wasn't there before, AND go back immediately. If you tow, or live in a hilly area, they can warp. You can ask the serive guys to be sure to use a torque stick or better yet a proper torque wrench (i do with all brake work). keep in mind that with every machining, they get thinner and warp more easily.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”