4 new Bilstein shocks, ORDERED ??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

4 new Bilstein shocks, ORDERED ??

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I just ordered from 4x4 parts.com all 4 Bilsteins for the front and rear. I hope this will firm up the ride in my 08 Pathy LE, and should improve the handling some. anyone using the Bilsteins? do you like?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:15 pm

in the UAE, the offroad SE comes factory fitted with Bilsteins, so Nissan probly studied it, and thinks they're ok i guess.

Cooper993

Re: 4 new Bilstein shocks, ORDERED ??

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 pm

KEVSTER wrote:I just ordered from 4x4 parts.com all 4 Bilsteins for the front and rear. I hope this will firm up the ride in my 08 Pathy LE, and should improve the handling some. anyone using the Bilsteins? do you like?
It all depends on the valving. Shock need to match the springs and if they were made to match the stock springs they may not make that much of a difference.

Regardless, let us know how it works out. I'm tired of the bouncy feel even with the airbags.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I like the air bags. I feel the airbags did a great job softening the ride as well as increased the load cap.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Captain caveman wrote:I like the air bags. I feel the airbags did a great job softening the ride as well as increased the load cap.
Agreed. They made an improvement. I'd just like the overall ride to be firmer, especially when I have the cargo area loaded with gear.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I was on line Nissan parts, etc... and from what I see the Off road spring and the LE spring as well as the other models of Pathfinders take the same front spring. I see the V-8 front spring is different of course for the extra weight up front, so is the rear spring different for the V-8 from the V-6. So the Bilsteins should be the same valving as what comes in the Off Road Pkg. I know that OE shocks if not name brand.. for import and Domestics are mass produced and have a smaller valve. The rear Bilstein shocks have a 14mm piston valve the front has a much larger piston valve. So I am positive installing the Bilsteins will put a smile :) on my face. Will give update in about 2 weeks.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:34 am

Hopefully, KEVSTER has received his Bilsteins from 4x4Parts by now.

I just wanted to share my experience with Bilstein's since that's what KEVSTER was asking.

I had Bilsteins from 4x4Parts.com on my '01 Xterra for about 80K+ miles. Since I replaced my OEMs with Bilsteins when OEMs were still in good shape, I did not recall feeling dramatic change, but I do remember they provided a bit stiffer ride. I never saw/noticed any wear on Bilsteins throughout my ownership of the Xterra... My Xterra was modified... Calmini winch bumper, Warn XD9000i, etc...And, I did take my Xterra to tough trails (not extremely, but tough) in the Sierras...once or twice a month during warmer months for about 5 years.

I was pretty impressed about Bilsteins' durability and ride comfort, and Bilsteins will be my choice when the time comes to replace my '09 Pathy's.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 am

I have Bilstein's on my ZR2 from the factory and after I did the 6" sup lift I replaced them with Bilstein's. I realy like the ride I had with them. I had the triple shock kit on my Z. 3 on each side. 2 were smaller valved to improve the fast shock load and the long was valved with a bigger valve to help with travel. I miss that trucks ride. I will have to dig up a picture of that.

Anyways I realy think you will like them

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:44 pm

Got the shocks on, rides alot better. Pain in the ass to do the fronts, had to take the struts to Les Schwab to have them use there spring compressor, mine did not work correctly. AND THEY DID NOT CHARGE ME, so I slipped the young mechanic $20.00. all in all a good mod for the money. :) The rears took me 45 minutes. Fronts....WITH TRAVEL TIME,ETC.. 3 HRS.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 am

KEVSTER wrote:Got the shocks on, rides alot better. Pain in the ass to do the fronts, had to take the struts to Les Schwab to have them use there spring compressor, mine did not work correctly. AND THEY DID NOT CHARGE ME, so I slipped the young mechanic $20.00. all in all a good mod for the money. :) The rears took me 45 minutes. Fronts....WITH TRAVEL TIME,ETC.. 3 HRS.
Was thinking of just doing my rears... they are a little buttery... up front all appears fine.

Can't get Bilsteins in Canada, everyone wants to give me adjustable ranchos... May just bite the bullet and order from the US.

Will probably add airbags at the same time.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:16 am

KEVSTER wrote:Got the shocks on, rides alot better. Pain in the ass to do the fronts, had to take the struts to Les Schwab to have them use there spring compressor, mine did not work correctly. AND THEY DID NOT CHARGE ME, so I slipped the young mechanic $20.00. all in all a good mod for the money. :) The rears took me 45 minutes. Fronts....WITH TRAVEL TIME,ETC.. 3 HRS.
Can you describe what you mean by "rides a lot better"? Is it stiffer, less bouncy, smoother over bumps, etc?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Well, the Pathy rides smooth as it did with the OEM shocks but the rebound on the Bilsteins is better. Meaning when the vehicles suspension cycles down (compresses) than comes up on the rebound it is more responsive, acts faster.. hitting bumps in road is a little more firmer feel, cruise mode on freeway is still smooth as glass. As for the swaying from side to side or taking corners at a decent speed, can't tell a difference. maybe bigger swaybars would be better, like from the V-8 Pathy..?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”