K&N Drop In Filter

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

speedline

K&N Drop In Filter

Postby speedline » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:13 am

Hey all, had my Path in for front brake service and tranny service last week. They noticed I had the K&N drop in filter installed. They called me and said that it needed to be taken out right away because it will damage the MAF sensor.

I originally put the K&N in for extra power for towing my travel trailer and it seemed to help.

If I keep the filter clean do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am

the excess oil from the filter can be sucked in by the engine and coat the MAF.

I have used K&N filters on all of my cars and only one problem out of them all. That was just recently the 740iL, after awhile the Idle Control Valve went, we're not sure if it was the K&N but it could have contributed to it.

On my Pathfinder I have a NISMO CAI, the stealer called me up telling me that he had to change my air filter b/c it was aftermarket.

I told him it's made by NISMO the motorsport division of Nissan, and leave the rest of my car alone!

If anything, every tune up just spray your TB and MAF with every tune up with TB cleaner.

You should be fine.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:52 am

you should use a shop rap with the cleaner on it and wipe the throttle and butterfly with the rag. the drive by wire system can be messed up if you spray it with any chemicals. saw it happen to a altima by a few months back. as far as the k&n filter, i have one also and have never heard of it damaging any maf's. they probably just wanted to sell you a filter.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 pm

+1 for K&N being ok.

I had a Nismo CAI on my Sentra previous to my Pathfinder. I cleaned it regularly with K&N cleaner kit, which had a degreaser spray and oil spray. The key is to make sure it's dry before you oil it.

I have a drop in on the Pathfinder now, and no problems.

speedline

Postby speedline » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will use it while towing. My mpg with the nissan air filter is around 16.5, with the K&N its around 14. That is city driving.

If I do switch between the two, K&N while towing, stock while normal driving, should I disconnect the negative battery terminal each time to reset the ECU.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 am

you should not disconnect the battery to change the airfilter. just swap it out.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”