Rear hatch actuator

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Rear hatch actuator

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:06 pm

The electronic open/close for the rear hatch has started to act different. Sometimes it delays in the middle of latching itself such when the hatch is closing. I'm thinking the actuator is getting weak. The best way I can describe it is the sound it makes. Normally when you close the hatch you hear "reeeer-reeeee." What's happening now is there is a delay as if the latch is getting stuck. Sounds like "reeeer **delay** reeeee." The delay is only a split second or so, but it never sounded that way previously.

We've always been careful to not slam the door shut. It's only happend once or twice when guests have been attempting to "help out."

Anyone else experience this? Do all R51's have the electronic open/close for the rear hatch?

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Not on my '06 LE. Can't speak for the rest of the folks.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 pm

i have an '08 SE that has the electronic latching mechanism. luckily i have not noticed any irregular action out of it.

i probably use my hatch at least twice per day everyday, except on the weekends sometimes. it all depends.

i have heard it struggle to close at times, but this is because i fill the cargo area up to the hilt sometimes. also, im not exceptionally easy on the slamming of the tailgate. i dont try to slam it, but sometimes it gets a pretty good close.

i dont know where any test points could be found for it, and im pretty sure you're going to have to take the tailgate apart a bit to get at it. but if its the actuator going bad, you will be able to see a Voltage spike before it or a drop after it (it being the actuator motor, which im guessing is part of the mechanism).

does the problem happen everytime? if so, it could be purely mechanical, namely the latch or the post may be bent, or out of whack.

just thinking out loud. good luck.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:07 am

I have no problems with mine. But I agree with you about guest helping out and closing the hatch, I've had them slam it as hard as they could. Then I yell at them about slaming my doors. :x

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:29 am

AZ Path - Service Bulletin NTB08-054 talks about resetting the clinch mechinism if it doesn't work. Yours sounds like it's getting gummed up, but maybe that will help. nissanhelp.com has all the TSBs. We haven't had any problems, yet.

BTW - we're just above you in Prescott at the present time. I've been putting the PF through its paces on old mining roads around here and it's been doing a great job. Next week it's off to Sedona.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:13 pm

dealer bulletin, reset, then replace cinch controler - common

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Can someone educate me on what having a service bulletin means?

I went to nissanhelp.com and see the very short description about the issue, but there is hardly any information. Does the bulletin just mean the dealer is aware of the problem and should know how to fix it when I tell them I have the issue?

08Datsun - Have fun in Sedona and post some pics of your trip in the Road Trip forum.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Rear hatch actuator

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

AZ_Path wrote: Do all R51's have the electronic open/close for the rear hatch?
I guess not, because this is the first I've even heard of it. It was probably one of those LE model features in my model year. Whatever the case, I sure don't have this.

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:42 pm

This isn't exactly on-topic I suppose but I can't get my rear window open on my '05. Am I missing something? Its just a solid handle right and its supposed to unlock when the doors are unlocked right? I pull but nothing happens. Its latched shut.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm

AZ - Path - The nissanhelp website makes you register before you can download the actual TSB's. You can register for free and download two TSB's per day. I read through this TSB and it basically says if the clinch mechanism is not working right, to unplug it, wait 5 seconds, and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work, replace it. This is the same as Tech says above. If your are still under warranty, I'd mention the problem and TSB to the dealer.

kramer - the 08's may be different, but in the center of the license plate frame underneath is an electronic switch to unlatch the whole hatch, and a mechanical handle to the right underneath the license frame for the window. They both unlock with the rest of the locks.

For those of you who don't have the electronic latch, it works just like Cadillacs from the 70's. Lower the hatch gently and the clincher pulls the hatch closed the last little bit. Press the open switch and it pops open. We were slamming the hatch closed for a week before we realized it had this feature. I'm not really sure of the benefit, and sometimes have forgotten and have slammed it anyways.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm sheduled for dealer service on Saturday and I'll be taking NTB08-054 with me. I browsed through some of the other bulletins and at least one applies to me so I'm going to ask about it also.

I'm still under warranty, but I'm curious to know if Nissan will take care of a known issue that has a bulletin if the vehicle is out of warranty. Does anyone know?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 pm

My hatch has done the same thing only a few times, it just doesnt catch to pull the door in. So I just lift gate up some and close it shut than it will work. I am not worrried, yet.. will keep an eye out. Yes the rubber finger switches for the latch and window are located under the license plate upper trim. touch and listen for the click.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Has anyone retrofitted the hatch actuator to regular hatch doors? I have this thing on my FX35 and love not having to slam the door. On the Path - every time I close the rear hatch it feels like the glass will shatter. i have been thinking about picking up the actuator and installing it. Has anyone done it before?

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm

there's also a controller and harness, seems like it'd be tough, but and pricey, but possible

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”