1997 rear hatch stuck

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bravo

1997 rear hatch stuck

Postby bravo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 am

Hi every one,
I own a 1997 pathfinder and the rear hatch has suddenly stopped opening. This happened overnite with no warning. I am unable to get it open. any help on fixing it would be appreciated.
Thanks

AwesomeAlex

Postby AwesomeAlex » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:11 pm

the seal may just be stuck. this happens on my '96 every once and a while. just try pulling it a little harder.

windstev

Postby windstev » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 am

Mine did the same thing. Wish I could tell you its an easy fix. For some reason the latch mechanism just stops working. I could get the secondary position up but the primary was futile after many tries. ie: the hatch would open a crack but not release entirely. I ended up pulling the panel off the inside of the door and using a drill to literally mangle the latching mechanism untill I could get it released. In not so many words, it was a meticulous and painstaking affair. Drill a couple small holes at strategic locations, then move up to bigger bits. Once open replace, the hook and latch and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps.
GL

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”