Fuel Gauge doesnt drop below a 1/4 tank?!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Silvermouse5150

Fuel Gauge doesnt drop below a 1/4 tank?!

Postby Silvermouse5150 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:21 pm

I know there has been posts and mentions about wack fuel gauge issues, but didnt really see mention about this issue.

I have an '06 SE. I have only had it for a month. Recently i have been letting my gas go down more than usual before re-fueling. I noticed that once my fuel gauge began reading that i had about a 1/4 tank of gas left, it didnt move. And even noticed it move up.

My DTE reading also, would go down to about 75 miles left, and then suddenly re-read that i had about 135 miles left.

But when I would re-fuel, i would put in 18 gallons. And i believe our tanks hold 21 gallons.

This is a tricky one - because I cant really test this one out, hate to run out of gas.

Any body else heard or experience something similar to this?
Is this another bad fuel gauge?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 pm

sounds like it is bad, I am not looking forward to mine going bad someday. You would think Nissan could get there shit together on this issue.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 am

Having replaced the fuel level sending unit twice (one in-warranty), that is definitely a bad sending unit. Supposedly, Nissan released a redesigned sending unit in the last couple of months. Search around here for more details.

I went 4 months with a faulty sending unit this summer with the hopes of replacing it myself. My golden rules, based on my MPG history, was don't push it past 315 miles on a full tank (20 gallons * 16MPG average with error margin). I manually calculated the MPG since there's a change the trip computer's MPG could be throw off by the faulty sending unit.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:34 pm

rlh2005 wrote:Having replaced the fuel level sending unit twice (one in-warranty), that is definitely a bad sending unit. Supposedly, Nissan released a redesigned sending unit in the last couple of months. Search around here for more details.

I went 4 months with a faulty sending unit this summer with the hopes of replacing it myself. My golden rules, based on my MPG history, was don't push it past 315 miles on a full tank (20 gallons * 16MPG average with error margin). I manually calculated the MPG since there's a change the trip computer's MPG could be throw off by the faulty sending unit.
That is awsome if Nissan came out with a new redesigned send unit, my Pathy says it averages 16.1MPG on the computer.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”