Biggest Tire

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:15 am

Here is the same shot, just closer in. I found that my tires still rub ever so slightly with a full load in the PF and turning. I will be trimming back my mudflaps even more. I know I could remove them, but I like the protection from the flying rocks the tires pick up.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:45 pm

skywhr wrote:I have a 2" lift, you think I could fit Size: 285/70R17
You can fit 285/70R17's STOCK with no lift. The only place it ever rubs is at around 1/2 turn and then only on suspension compression and then only on the inner fender liner right in the middle near the bottom.

If you search the site you'll see other posts about this exact combo.

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:04 am

Hello,

Yep, I'm sure that you can squeeze the 285's in there, but it may not work for everyone. Even from side to side on my truck, the right tire rubs with slight compression of the suspension and about 1/2 lock to the right. the left side just has more space in the wheel well. Not sure why yet... I do plan on pulling the mud flaps off again and checking to see if there is a reason the gap is smaller on the passanger side.

For me, I don't want the wife to freak out every time the tire rubs, so there is no way I would run the 285's on my truck. Based on where I speculate the tire/wheel package sitting after a 2" lift, I'm not sure I would run the 285's after a lift either. But like I said, that is just me and my preferences.

If it's that tight that it rubs when things are all nice and clean, I wonder what will happen with mud/snow/ice in there? Things are great heading straight down the trail, but eventually everyone has to turn. :)

Good luck,

Rob

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:00 am

I was just answering the guys question. I've ran that combo since Nov 06 w/BFG AT's at stock height and then with the 2" OME lift. Unless you go with something more in the range of a 4"+ lift you won't change the location of the widest part of the tire when turning to ensure there is no rubbing. The rubbing has been mitigated by most via the use of a heat gun to reform the lower part of the liner. I personally have never had any interference issues with my mud "flaps" though.

To beat a dead horse, if I did it all over again I wouldn't go with 285's but for none of the reasons you are theorizing. To clarify, the tires in that size in BFG AT's aren't squeezed in at all. From my tests there is ample room at all stages of suspension compression or droop with the single exception of 1/2 lock turns where it just barely kisses the lower part of the fender liner. I say kiss because I've never modified mine in any way and natural abrasion has worn away approx 1/16". This could be eliminated by shaving the outer edges of the tire down a hair also.

In regards to how it would act when foreign bodies are trapped in the wheel well, the same as with any tire. The tire will just move it out of the way.

I'm not advocating people should run out and stuff the biggest tire in the wheel well that they possibly can, just stating what to expect with this specific combo. In-fact compromising to keep the significant other happy is a laudable action! Luckily mine has her own Nissan to tear up.

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am

No worries... I just wanted to offer my opinion/observation too. As we know, opinions are just like A-holes. everyone has one and most of them stink.

I had forgotten about the heat gun action. I may have to dig mine out and roll that portion of the inner liner out of harms way. I can see that even after 200 miles, there is a grind mark on the liner. I really don't want to shave the tires and risk out of balalnce or cosmetic issues, so the heat gun will be my weapon of choice. Thanks for the idea!

Take care,

Rob

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am

I think in general a 275 or narrower tire would be much more street-able. I either get forced in the asphalt ruts from heavy trucks by my tires tracking into them or I'm wider than most of the paths that have been carved through snow and ice on the roads and I have to blaze my own trails.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:20 pm

The problem with 275/70/17 is I dont like any of the tires available...
I want bridgestone dueler revo's

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 pm

The Firestone is a cousin to the Revo. It uses a lot of the same technology in construction. For me, the tire has been very good.
Check some of the info on tirerack as the tires compete in the same category.

Rob

lionbar

Postby lionbar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:07 am

Am currently running 265/65/17s on stock alloys.
Due to the market in the UAE, 17 inch tyres are few and far between, so am downsizing to the 16 inchers from an SE (swapping with a friend).
Anywayz just put on a 2 inch lift and was wondering if anyone has tried the 285/75/16 set-up, do they protrude out wider than the body.
Something to consider, I do quite a bit of sand driving, no trax just dunes!!! 8)
cheers

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”