Transmission funkiness part II

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Transmission funkiness part II

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 am

I posted this a while ago, but figured I should post again now that we have a healthy number of forum members. Ever since I picked up my PF from the dealer in Feb '07, I've been having what I consider a problem with my transmission. When I hop in & drive off to work when the temp is about 40 degrees or cooler, when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it's like a lurching feeling. It definitely isn't the same as when shifting from 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, etc. Once the transmission is warm, it won't do it anymore, but when it's cold, it happens every time. I've grown so accustomed to it that when I get to the point of making the shift from 2nd to 3rd, I totally ease off the gas and just granny the shift so that I don't have that huge lurching shift, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I've dropped it off at the dealer twice, but both times it was too warm. I'll have to drop it off on a Friday evening and have them drive it first thing Saturday morning now that we have snow on the ground & cold temps. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Also, for those who have passed their Nissan 3 year warranty period, have you received anything from Nissan to extend the warranty? Or used someone else for an extended warranty? I need to get this fixed before mine is up in February, but if I can't, I think I'm going to have to get some extended coverage.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I had a similar problem on my 02 Maxima where it was not necessarily a lurch, but more of a hard shift b/w 2 and 3. They had an updated TCM programing for the maxima that would resolve that problem but I haven't heard anything like this for the Pathy but might be worth asking the tech about.

Are you aware of the radiator coolant leak issue ? Might not be the case for you since it only during the cold weather, but I'd check the fluid to make sure.

My 06 LE doesn't seem to exhibit any of what you are describing, however, I have not experienced any cold weather with it yet.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 am

kev1n wrote:I had a similar problem on my 02 Maxima where it was not necessarily a lurch, but more of a hard shift b/w 2 and 3. They had an updated TCM programing for the maxima that would resolve that problem but I haven't heard anything like this for the Pathy but might be worth asking the tech about.
Thanks for the input. I'll have to see what they say at the dealer whenever I get the chance. It has to be a problem, especially if nobody else here is experiencing it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”