Brake Pads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm

id say go ebc Ultimax. i think the last time i checked they were the same price as stock OEM replacement pads but way better

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Did u guys resurface your rotors after replacing the brake pads the first time? The stealership is telling me they must resurface the rotors on all brake jobs which I think is bullcrap. They wanted $170 just to resurface both rotors. Does that sound right? I read on another post that its only $8 to resurface a rotor?

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:21 pm

170 bucks is crap. It shouldn't be anywhere near that. Get it away from the stealership and take it to local mechanic or do it yourself.

It's a good idea to turn rotors to true them and get a nice surface for the new pads to bed into. But it also makes the rotors thinner and more likely to warp. Unless they are warped to start with or really badly gouged I wouldn't get them turned. If they are warped getting them turned will increase the odds that they will warp again.

Personally I don't turn anything. If the rotors need it (and mine didn't) I just get new ones, they aren't too expensive and you can get better quality aftermarket ones.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

dbetterred wrote:170 bucks is crap. It shouldn't be anywhere near that. Get it away from the stealership and take it to local mechanic or do it yourself.

It's a good idea to turn rotors to true them and get a nice surface for the new pads to bed into. But it also makes the rotors thinner and more likely to warp. Unless they are warped to start with or really badly gouged I wouldn't get them turned. If they are warped getting them turned will increase the odds that they will warp again.

Personally I don't turn anything. If the rotors need it (and mine didn't) I just get new ones, they aren't too expensive and you can get better quality aftermarket ones.

Thanks for the input, that price was ridiculous when I heard that. I only have 23,000 miles on my 05 and I dont think I need to turn my rotors, like u said rotors arent that expensive and its prob time to get new ones if I needed to turn them. Thanks again for your help.

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:37 am

falcondrgn wrote:Did u guys resurface your rotors after replacing the brake pads the first time? The stealership is telling me they must resurface the rotors on all brake jobs which I think is bullcrap. They wanted $170 just to resurface both rotors. Does that sound right? I read on another post that its only $8 to resurface a rotor?
I just changed my front pads on my 06. I did take the rotors to a shop to have them turned. I have a friend who owns his own parts store, he charged me 20 cash for both. I'm sure it's not much more at other shops. I would definitely do it though.

As for pads I buy OEM. I use the PF to tow and I run the snot out of it when I'm not towing. I think the OEM perform every bit as good as the ebc's. Nissan's brake system on the pathfinder is a beast, just like our G35's stock brake system which gets rated damn close to the vette.

Just my 2c's

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Ride2Live wrote:
falcondrgn wrote:Did u guys resurface your rotors after replacing the brake pads the first time? The stealership is telling me they must resurface the rotors on all brake jobs which I think is bullcrap. They wanted $170 just to resurface both rotors. Does that sound right? I read on another post that its only $8 to resurface a rotor?
I just changed my front pads on my 06. I did take the rotors to a shop to have them turned. I have a friend who owns his own parts store, he charged me 20 cash for both. I'm sure it's not much more at other shops. I would definitely do it though.

As for pads I buy OEM. I use the PF to tow and I run the snot out of it when I'm not towing. I think the OEM perform every bit as good as the ebc's. Nissan's brake system on the pathfinder is a beast, just like our G35's stock brake system which gets rated damn close to the vette.

Just my 2c's

Thanks for the input, I ended up not turning my rotors since my mechanic told me it wasnt necessary since the rotor is still very smooth, i drive my truck maybe once a week so its prob not worth turning now, I`ll just get new rotors during the next round of pads, I agree that our OEM pads are pretty good, I have no complaints so far. Thanks for your input again.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”