Mud Flaps... different?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Suliman

Mud Flaps... different?

Postby Suliman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:21 am

Cruising around here in Central America, I'm noticing my Pathy is a bit different from the once bought here:

1. Bumper. The ones here have small red circle reflectors built into the rear bumper. Looks good actually, lol.

2. Mudflaps. I NEED THE ONES HERE!!! On my 2006, I have the hard as nails, molded, rigid, snap off if something gets caught, hate there is no play room mud flaps. The ones here mount just as mine do, except they are just a flat plastic that extends down that actually has flexibility into it. I was going to take a jeep trail to the beach one weekend, but after seeing the picks, I need to do something about those, because I know mine will get tore off.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 am

I was wondering about the flaps too. I went and had a bit of off road fun last week and realized my flaps snapped out of the spot on the bumper...Thinking of maybe replacing them seeing as how I had so much fun lol.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 am

Mudflaps have been on my list for some time, but I just haven't had time to mess with them. That'll probably change when one snaps off, or I get pissed & break one off intentionally. Right now, they are pretty much useless. In the winter, they are downright horrible. With their cupped shape, all they do is collect snow & ice. I've had frozen snow and ice inbetween the tire and flap a number of winter mornings, which means that I have to pull out the rock pick and chip it away before I can drive. A simple piece of flat rubber, trimmed to fit, would be ideal.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:50 am

I saw that as well and was going to cut off the cupping at the bottom. or I was just going to remove them.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 am

darn, I wish I had know you folks might sell before I bought them at the dealer.

I don't really go off-road so I wanted to put them on.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm

NVSteve wrote:With their cupped shape, all they do is collect snow & ice. I've had frozen snow and ice inbetween the tire and flap a number of winter mornings, which means that I have to pull out the rock pick and chip it away before I can drive.
Now that you've mentioned it, I've thought about cutting part of the flap to make a shovel shape and get rid of the cup shape. Basically, just cut the lower part off so you can just push the snow/ice off the flap.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:42 pm

I'll check the shops here an let you guys know what I find.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:40 am

Somewhere on this forum is either a link to pictures, or the pictures themselves, of a pretty nice looking solution. It isn't a black rubber flap, but more of a translucent plastic looking thing that one of the Nissan racing teams affixed to their rigs. Just a completely flat piece, and not thick like the rubber options. If anyone can find what I'm talking about, please post a link to it here.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:54 am

I have had the same suprise as what a crappy mud flap Nissan has used. Many times I have got out of the Pathfinder to tap the frozen slush out of them before I pull into the garage. It is sometimes sub zero and I am concerned the plastic will crack. I have also considered cutting the bottom off but it seems to be there for structural reasons.

Anyway, I Googled "nissan pathfinder mud flap" and came up with a couple of possibilities and have attached the links below-

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/n ... parts.html

http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/store ... uards.html

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

would love to see pics of any of those flaps in the above links on a R51

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=509

What I don't know is just how flexible it is, or how close to a urethane type substance it is. A sheet of rubber would work also, but rubber is just heavy & clingy. Anyway, remove the old flaps & just make templates on cardboard, then adjust the dimensions to personal taste.

Here's another product closer to what I envision:

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/mudflap_faq.php

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

On a VERY frustrating trip to Panamoto, the Nissan dealerships here. (other post to follow on that), you can get the flexible type mud flap/guard here, but it's $68 a location! It's over $270!!

The best bet I think is the fits-all type flat plastic/urethane type and just use the existing ones for a holes template. I've used them before and looks like I'll be using them again. I think they were Highland brand.

Bummer.

*Edit*
Yep, highland...
I found em here: http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-lo ... ash-guards
The Long LIfe Duraflex are the ones I've used on a few vehicles now.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:37 am

Suliman wrote:Yep, highland...
I found em here: http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-lo ... ash-guards
The Long LIfe Duraflex are the ones I've used on a few vehicles now.
Any idea how thick they are? Those look like they would do the trick.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 am

They're pretty thick, but do have flexibility to them. The only car I have left with them on is my Mazda Protege5, and they're going strong since 03'.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”