Stillen Supercharger

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:57 am

The motor is rated as 266 at the crank, so no you will not see that at the wheels on a dyno. Usually one expects a %20 driveline loss. And just to be clear, as I said above those aren't my numbers, that's Stillen's test mule chart from their press kit.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm

okay , i thought they stopped measuring at the crank and gave wheel hp these days .
can't wait for the final numbers

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:15 pm

jerry6 wrote:okay , i thought they stopped measuring at the crank and gave wheel hp these days .
can't wait for the final numbers

haha not on your life :) would you really want to advertise a 50hp Kia? since thats what the average spectra puts to the ground?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 pm

SAE did revise their HP definition recently, which has having some various effects on various manufacturers. Nissan especially is getting hit hard, which is why they've chosen to "only apply the new SAE rules to new models and new engines". Luckily for us, the Pathfinder and it's VQ40 fall in the new rules, so that's a real 266HP we've got there, unlike older vehicles like the 350Z or Murano or etc.

A good example of this is the new G35. By the numbers it only gained a few HP with the new VQH motor over the old G, but it's 0-60 time was cut by over half a second because the old motor was actually far weaker than the advertized numbers would make you believe.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:56 am

So the new issue comes out in just a couple weeks with the supercharger article in it. Along with it I'll be releasing a video of the whole project online which I'll try to sneak out early here, and it'll include footage of what I'm doing later today: Drag racing at Sears Point. Hahahaha...oh boy, this should be amusing :lol:

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:45 am

Won't that look funny seeing a big Pathy on the strip. Don't forget to turn off the VDC if you have it. Too bad you don't have a lock for the rear. That should be the next mod. Have fun.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:47 am

Video of the SC is now online, check it out here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=1530

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:20 pm

That's some cool stuff bro.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:38 pm

i'm thinking of ordering one of these kits

1. approx how much should I expect to pay for the install (approx how many hours did it take)?
2. what kind of gas mileage are you seeing now?
3. will the kit work with a K&N intake and a cat-back exhaust?
4. broken any more belts?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Book install is 10 hours. Most good shops charge around $100/h, so call it around $1K.

Gas mileage is same as before if I'm not driving like a fool, no noticeable change.

The K&N intake may not work, and actually they recommend against using a cone filter due to 'high noise levels'. The exhaust is no problem.

Haven't broken any more belts =P. Stillen replaced the failed belt, and I notched out my hood some more. I suspect that was the root cause, the snout pulley on the blower nicking the hood when the motor rocks on the mounts under heavy acceleration or deceleration.

Also, I just had fun last week running a tank of 87 octane through it. Yes, I know, they say never do that, but sometimes when I'm offroading in the middle of nowhere the only gas available at some podunk place is 87, so I wanted to make sure it would run okay. And yes it did work just fine, with the computer set to the "B" map (retarded timing and richer fuel for towing/bad gas). No audible pinging or anything, though of course I wasn't driving it super hard trying to break it :P

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am

sorry i know this is an old post but not seen it before just came across it..Nyways Carl, hows the pathy running?? any problems besides the initial belt??
One more thing, how do you think the supercharger would perform in a climate like what we got here in Dubai?? Its very hot and dusty, temperatures usually soar upto round 45-over 50 degress sometimes in the summer, which is like 70% of the time.
I never knew that the VQ40 could be that good with a supercharger..

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Hm, that is pretty darn hot...it does have a intercooler which should help a lot, but I honestly can't say for sure. I've run it in the deserts of California, Josha Tree, Mojave, Death Valley, and had no issues, but never THAT hot. The system does have a timing-retard switch for when you get some bad gas or have to run 87 Octane for some reason, that would probably keep you covered in the heat if you hear some pinging.

The unit has run fine, virtually no issues. I did have another of the Gates belts supplied by Stillen strech out enough to start slipping at WOT near redline after like 10K miles, but the replacement belt I got from NAPA auto parts here has run like a champ.

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 pm

hmmm..i'd love to install that charger!!
Ohh and btw, the regular gas we use here is 95 octane and the premium is 98 :D !! hehe.. yeh and i run on 98 all the time hehehe..the gas prices ova here are fixed so you get the same price everywhere, thats the good thing..

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 pm

coom1986 wrote:the gas prices ova here are fixed so you get the same price everywhere, thats the good thing..
You just made me cry.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”