Koyo replacement rads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Koyo replacement rads

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 am

From this Koyo catalog on page 5, it shows that Koyo makes at least one drop in replacement radiator for the 05+ Frontier/Pathfinder/Xterras. From reading, Koyo claims improved cooling capacity which would be great for towing, but as Koyo makes several types I was wondering if any know which of the Koyo rads would be best for improved cooling, ie: copper core, aluminum, etc. Thanks.

http://www.megaap.com/catalog/Mega_RADIATOR.pdf

http://www.koyorad.com/products.html

duprade

Postby duprade » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 pm

I work for a radiator manufacturer ...and can tell you that koyo doesn't make anything special that any other manfucturer would.

The only way you would get better cooling is if you got an all aluminum radiator (as opposed to a plastic tank / alum core)

Copper radiators are ok, but you are also adding 3 times the weight of that in alum. Not really worth it IMHO.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:53 pm

duprade wrote:I work for a radiator manufacturer ...and can tell you that koyo doesn't make anything special that any other manfucturer would.

The only way you would get better cooling is if you got an all aluminum radiator (as opposed to a plastic tank / alum core)

Copper radiators are ok, but you are also adding 3 times the weight of that in alum. Not really worth it IMHO.
Although I agree with you that there is nothing huge that they could do to beat the performance of the OE rad, there are a number of small things they could change which would have incremental effects:

1. Change surface area of fins. Go with different louvers, etc. The danger of change FPI (fins per inch) would be plugging in the long term.

2. Thickness of core. Its possible they would go with a thicker core which could increase number of tubes in the core, thus increasing cooling capacity. May not be possible due to stackup of fan, etc, but perhaps on the front side? Not sure.

Not sure how an all aluminum rad would change anything, as the only air hitting the tanks would be recirc or hot air. Might look cool though.

But the big things that affect cooling are air coming in, and water going through. Maybe a high capacity water pump?

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”