Help! my 2004 keeps dying :(

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

labellavita

Help! my 2004 keeps dying :(

Postby labellavita » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:33 am

Hi all. So glad I found this forum! I'm Gina from Jersey. And I am at my witts end with my 2004 Pathfinder. A few weeks ago it wouldn't start. Someone jumped the battery and it turned right over. I immediately got a new battery. The next morning - it wouldn't start again. I had to jump it two more days and then the problem went away. It has been starting fine until.....

This morning. It was dead again. Got a jump and now it's starting. Something is obvioulsy wrong. It can't be the starter or alternator because it wouldn't ahve started for me the past few weeks.

Any ideas?! Please?!

Thanks,
Gina

labellavita

Postby labellavita » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 am

anyone?! :D

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:25 pm

If you replaced the car battery with a fresh one and it's still dying, then something in the electrical system of the car is draining the battery while the vehicle is off. There are many things that could do that, such as an aftermarket alarm, aftermarket stereo, interior lights that are turned on or even something as silly as leaving your cell charger plugged in overnight. Electrical systems are a bit of a pain to diagnose so try looking at the obvious things first(lights, radio, alarm etc) and if that doesn't work have the car looked at by a qualified tech. Also have the alternator checked. There may be a possibility that the alternator is not charging your battery properly. A car will run on a fully charged battery for a while without you noticing anything during that day. The next morning the battery might be so drained that it doesn't have enough juice to turn over the starter and start the vehicle. Many shops will test the battery and charging system for very cheap if not free.

Hope that helps.

labellavita

Postby labellavita » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 am

Thx so much SPICOLI

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Make sure the ground connection is good and not rotting away. I faulty ground can cause all kinds of hair pulling. If the ground from the battery is really green at the battery, try cleaning it with a wire brush. If it's really bad and there is some slack in the cable, re-terminate so you are using good clean cable. Maybe put some electrolytic grease on it to help prevent any more corrosion. You can find it at any auto parts store.

Return to “General Automotive”