AitLift -- Keeping the air hoses on

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

AitLift -- Keeping the air hoses on

Postby amr40509 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:09 pm

About 3 months ago I put the AirLift kit on my '06 and LOVE it. BUT, it seems that I'm not getting the clamps all the way down on the lines. I thought I had the clamp on the top of each bag all the way down, but after about a month the driver's side slipped off. I put it back on, then yesterday the passenger’s side slid off.

The area I'm talking about is where the hose attaches to the top of the bag.

When I first installed them I had the truck on jack stands and couldn't really get my hand up there very well.

When I put the drive's side back on, I used ramps on the rear and feel like I could reach a little better.

Then today I put the rear up on ramps and took off the spare tire and could reach even better.

I pulled off both hoses today when I realized that I'm getting the clamps on there pretty far (just compressing them w/ normal pliers) and put a little film of super glue inside of each hose before I slipped them back on. Hopefully that will hold it.

Anyone have a tip on how they did there's (besides not having fat hands w/ short fingers like me)?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:55 am

What kind of clamps were supplied? Were they the worm driven band clamps or the spring based style that you compress then slide them off...or something else?

If they are the compression style get some SS worm gear ones. If you already have those just double check that they are appropriately sized, maybe try getting one size smaller in SS and see how that goes.

Of course it could also be that your airlines are a touch too short causing them to be put under load and slide off. In that case better clamps on the bags would probably just move the problem somewhere else.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 am

They are the clamp style -- I had planned to put the screw type that you described on yesterday, but didn't check to see what I had in the tool chest until after I already had the truck up and tools out, turns out I only had some that were too big.

I guess I will try that style if this doesn't hold.

There should be plenty of slack in the air lines, I think they are just slipping off normally due to the spring style clamps not being seated all the way over the nipple on the bag.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:36 am

Ahh, sounds right. All the experience I've had with the spring style clamps has been good when they are perfectly sized and made with enough tension to hold appropriately. But if one or the other is off they tend not to hold well.

Good luck on that!

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:48 pm

I haven't had mine pop off at all, including some pounding off-roading, so not sure what to say... Yeah, maybe find some really small fuel-line kinda hose clamps.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:02 pm

New oddity.

I towed the boat about 150 miles last Sunday and started out w/ the pressure in the airlift at 35psi.

When I got home, they were at 14psi. I haven't touched them since (been a week of normal driving) and they are still at 14psi.

Anyone notice any pressure loss when putting a lot of weight (also bouncing weight, like a big trailer on a single axle) on the full pressure bags?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:21 pm

I've noticed them drop a bit, presumeably as the air bags strech more, they will go from 35 down to 30 or something, but not the drops you saw there.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 am

Towed yesterday -- started at 35psi, finished at 35psi.

I guess everything is cool...

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:37 am

what kind of AirLift kit is this?
I'm looking to stiffen up the rear end. I'm not towing anything, yet. but with passengers the ride is a bit bouncy.
would this kit help with a more stiff ride? whats the link.
thanks

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:31 am

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:02 pm

mtbpath wrote:what kind of AirLift kit is this?
I'm looking to stiffen up the rear end. I'm not towing anything, yet. but with passengers the ride is a bit bouncy.
would this kit help with a more stiff ride? whats the link.
thanks
I run mine at 12-15psi for normal daily use, I like the slightly firmer ride better. Then towing increase mine. This isn't a really heavy duty unit, even at the max pressure of 35psi it still has a lot of give to it when you load up the rear of the truck, but it is WELL worth the price.

Is anyone out there using the auto inflate/deflate kit for it? Right now I'm just using my compressor at home, and also picked up a cheap 12v unit at Wal-Mart that I've used a couple of times.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu May 03, 2007 11:05 pm

I've pounded the snot out of mine and the pressure pretty much doesn't change with exception to ambient tempature. I have noticed that initially 15-17psi was the magic number for a good solid road feel, but after time and the bigger heavier tires 18.5-20psi is the new sweet spot for daily driving. 20 is a little stiff but I can rail out of corners with nearly no body lean, but thats in part with running 6ply LT's at 47.5 psi.
My install took me les than 30 min and I have some pretty beefy hands, what were you using to push the hose over the nipple? If you want to be lazy about it you could pre measure the air lines and pre cut/mount them before you wedge the bag in the springs, that might be a little less akward. Honesly the supplied clamps haven't let me down yet and I wouldn't be catagorized as a mellow driver.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 am

Carl, thanks for the link. I would assume one kit will work for the rear suspension.
can somone explain how this works? by looking at the picture, it would appear you put the cylinder inside the springs.
how does it raise and lower? does it uses air?
do you add a switch for it also.
thanks.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:47 am

mtbpath wrote:Carl, thanks for the link. I would assume one kit will work for the rear suspension.
can somone explain how this works? by looking at the picture, it would appear you put the cylinder inside the springs.
how does it raise and lower? does it uses air?
do you add a switch for it also.
thanks.
The bag (red cylinder) goes in the coil spring with an air hose at the top of each bag. You then adjust the air pressure in the bag between 5psi and 35 psi. They do make a kit w/ a switch to inflate/deflate -- but most of us are just using a normal home air compressor. At the end of the air hose there is a valve like what you would use to inflate a tire.

hpc3

Has anyone determined a bag combo for the 2WD crowd?

Postby hpc3 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 am

I probably don't need bags yet but when my towing stuff increases I'd like to add these for the levelling if anything else.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”