Extended Warranty Statistics

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Extended Warranty Statistics

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am

Now that several of the R51's are reaching higher mileage, I'm curious how many people purchased the extended warranty and if it was worth the cost to do so.

If you purchased an extended warranty, can you provide your stats? (i.e. model year, mileage covered by warranty, current mileage, and estimated cost of repairs covered under warranty) Or if you didn't purchase it, do you wish you did?

I opted not to buy the extended warranty, but I believe you have the option to get it later as long as you are still covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Extended Warranty Statistics

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:57 am

AZ_Path wrote: I opted not to buy the extended warranty, but I believe you have the option to get it later as long as you are still covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
I opted not to purchase it also, but some of that had to do with their finance guy pissing me off with extra fees on the purchase agreement, and extremely foul breath. My 3 years are up the beginning of February & I'm honestly surprised that I haven't had anything from Nissan offering an extended warranty. I might just bite on one if it is reasonable in price. Any other companies that offer the extended warranty?

admiral

Postby admiral » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:36 pm

well nevermind my topic started 2 hours before this one lol.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:08 pm

NVSteve wrote: I My 3 years are up the beginning of February & I'm honestly surprised that I haven't had anything from Nissan offering an extended warranty. I might just bite on one if it is reasonable in price. Any other companies that offer the extended warranty?
Did you have many problems during the standard warranty that would make you think you want one? I'm never a fan of ext. warranties because generally more problematic vehicles are more expensive to insure.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:20 pm

admiral wrote:well nevermind my topic started 2 hours before this one lol.
:)

You're thread actually made me think of this and I was going to reply to it, but then you asked a question about voiding the warranty. I didn't want to hijack your thread so I started a new one.
Last edited by AZ_Path on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm

NVSteve wrote: Any other companies that offer the extended warranty?
I've seen advertisements from third party services, but I don't know if any of them are trustworthy. Some are certainly scams. Before I had the Path, I received a call from one company saying that my manufacturers warranty was about to expire and offered me a chance to extend it. At the time, my Accord was my only vehicle and it had ~200,000 miles. Out of curiosity, I pressed the button to speak with a live person and when I asked the name of the company and how they received my information, he hung up on me. I'd probably stick with Nissan unless it's a trusted name.

admiral

Postby admiral » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

You're thread actually made me think of this and I was going to reply to it, but then you asked a question about voiding the warranty. I didn't want to hijack your thread so I started a new one.
No worries about hijacking my thread. :D I bought the extended warranty for my Pathy I am currently covered until 100k miles. I know my friend has the same warranty and yesterday he had to get his maxima serviced. The warranty covered parts and labor all he had to pay was the 50 dollar deductible.Its better than having to pay 480 dollars on parts and labor. Oh and the thread that got me thinking about the warranty was the one about the radiator transmission bypass. :D

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 am

skinny2 wrote: Did you have many problems during the standard warranty that would make you think you want one? I'm never a fan of ext. warranties because generally more problematic vehicles are more expensive to insure.
The Fuel Sending Unit was about the only thing I'd consider a problem. That & one other thing both failed at the same time & the work order came out to $800+ (free with warranty).

It isn't that I'm expecting something to go wrong, it's just that *if* something does happen, it will at least be covered and fixed by someone who has the tools & training. Up until my '89 Isuzu Trooper, I could pretty much fix anything myself. With today's cars, it is a different story altogether, especially since it always seems to be a combination of things that cause a problem (and they seem to add up real quick in the $ department). And I am not the lucky type of person, which means something will happen/fail soon after my warranty expires.

I'll have to see if I can find something on a Nissan extended warranty rather than the 3rd party. Some of the biggest scams recently have involved extended warranties for vehicles, so I'm highly dubious of anyone I've never heard of, which has been all of them so far.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 am

Well I guess it's either pay now or maybe pay later. One thing you know with an extended warranty is that you must pay now. I was quoted $2000 for a non-nissan warranty when I bought mine. If this thing needs $2,000 between 36k and 100k miles I will be rid of it fairly quickly anyway.

While I'm not a fan of warranties regardless, I personally would not consider anything besides a factory backed one. Too many have gone out of business over the years and you shouldn't have that problem with Nissan. But again, these OEM warranties are money makers or they wouldn't offer them. That means the odds are not in your favor.

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Did not buy one with my 08... But I do have one on my speed 6 that I bought through my finance company ( citifinancial) at about 50k miles.
It came in handy at about 57K when I needed some work done to the tune of $1400.00, all I had to pay was about $98.00 if I remember right. I have 30k on my 08 now and will probably look in to one soon from nissan since it spends more time there then at my house :roll: . I would avoid all thrid party warranties options though...

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

I did by the extended warranty on my 2010 SE.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 am

08 pathy wrote:Did not buy one with my 08... But I do have one on my speed 6 that I bought through my finance company ( citifinancial) at about 50k miles.
It came in handy at about 57K when I needed some work done to the tune of $1400.00, all I had to pay was about $98.00 if I remember right.
Do you recall how much you paid for the warranty? That's the only way to know if it was worth it or not.
08 pathy wrote: I have 30k on my 08 now and will probably look in to one soon from nissan since it spends more time there then at my house :roll: . I would avoid all thrid party warranties options though...
That doesn't sound good. What kind of issues are you having?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 am

skinny2 wrote: But again, these OEM warranties are money makers or they wouldn't offer them. That means the odds are not in your favor.
That's why I normally avoid warranties too. The difference is that the company makes money by selling volume. On some warranties, they will lose money. They just make it up on the others, like insurance. So it's a money maker if you have a high enough volume and your averages are in the predicted range.

My guess is that they also make money on the warranty because the labor rates that Nissan pays to the dealer are lower than what you and I pay. That's one more reason the warranty could be a good purchase.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am

cbacarisse wrote:I did by the extended warranty on my 2010 SE.
Care to share the amount of mileage and cost?

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

AZ_Path wrote: Do you recall how much you paid for the warranty? That's the only way to know if it was worth it or not.
If I remember right it was about $1600.00. But it was spread out into my car payments so it was only a few bucks extra a month.

AZ_Path wrote:That doesn't sound good. What kind of issues are you having?
Fuel cap once
fuel filler neck and cap once
one tpms
one rear wiper motor
one shifter assembly
some kind of transmission solenoid
Now I have rust in my rain channels.

I think I got a bad one :lol:
I put 90k on my 06 without one problem... :roll:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”