99 Nissan Pathfinder maintance

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

D3COY

99 Nissan Pathfinder maintance

Postby D3COY » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi, I just bought my 99 Red Pathfinder SE Limited, and it has 160,000 miles on it. Ive replaced the timing belt, and other belts, the water pump, ATF, sparkplugs, windshield wipers, and basic things that are needed for this car. I know it has a lot of miles on it, but is there any other maintance I should do???

Im also going to be replacing the shocks and struts next week.

ANYTHING ELSE??????

Any advice greatly appreciated

CoGraW

what how and why

Postby CoGraW » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 pm

I am trying to reply to the maintenance performed for the 99,
What led you to replace all of those things, did you check before you replaced or did you just do all of that maintenance as a matter of practice to be certain that they were good; how did you know THOSE things needed replacing?
Did you use Nissan replacement parts?

CoGraW

one other thing

Postby CoGraW » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 pm

sorry! one other thing,

What does it feel like when you go over bumps? Is it stiff?
Is it time to replace the springs and shocks?

I am asking because I am thinking of doing the same. The ride is a little stiff.
But I don't remember the handling when It was new.

ok thanks!
Cograw

D3COY

Postby D3COY » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Yeah i replaced all those things just because of the sheer amount of miles on the vehicle. i didnt know for sure that they needed to be replaced so i just went on the safe side. and the person i bought it from was not the original owner and so therefore i assumed that they needed to be replaced. I did the work myself and come to find out they did need to be replaced. And yeah i used nissan parts. oh and the sparkplugs were horrible and looked liked they had never been replaced. But yeah overall the engine runs a lot better now, so im happy i did the work.

As far as the ride goes, yes the shocks need to be replaced and im doing so soon. going over bumps you can just feel that the shocks need replacing. the ride isnt really stiff but it shifts in the back end when i turn, so im going to replace the rear control arm bushings as well. The new shocks are going to be KYB GR-2. Im still trying to decide between the regular shocks and the gas adjust, but im pretty sure im going with the gas adjust ones.

As far as changing stuff. its always a good idea when you buy a used car to at least check those components, if not replace them.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”