Philips X-treme Power headlight bulbs

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Philips X-treme Power headlight bulbs

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:05 pm

I'll post more impressions after a few months, but let me at least say that these are much, much better than the Sylvania or Luminics I've tried. The only downside is that they are a bitch to find & more expensive than the Sylvania. The light output has been fantastic & the low beams now have more reach than I've ever seen.

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 pm

So where did you end up finding them... and do they make em in H1 size?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 am

08 pathy wrote:So where did you end up finding them... and do they make em in H1 size?
Doesn't look like they have the H1. I didn't save the link to where I purchased mine, but a quick search yielded a few options. Here's one:

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=100

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:30 am

It mentions on the website that they strongly recommend upgrading the headlight wiring harness due to that fact that the bulbs are of higher wattage. I'd be cautious with higher wattage bulbs. I had a connector completely melt on my wifes Maxima from PIAA's that were higher wattage.

Gonzo
Last edited by Gonzo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Gonzo wrote:It mentions on the website that they strongly recommend upgrading the headlight wiring harness due to that fact that the bulbs are of higher wattage. I'd be cautious with higher wattage buls. I had a bulb connector completely melt on my wifes Maxima from PIAA's that were higher wattage.
The wattage is the same. I haven't seen a regular halogen 9007 that has higher wattage. They're just looking for an easy buck, since the profit margin on the harnesses has to be gigantic.

Here are the 2 blurbs from the same product description:

Factory/Stock wattage will not void car warranty or melt headlight sockets/damage wiring.

*** As bright as the Xtreme Power is, high wattage (Rally) bulbs from Philips & Osram Sylvania are even brighter- 110%+ (recommend our headlight wiring harness with relays for max performance with all bulbs)

The 2nd is a play on words, but is talking about rally bulbs, not the X-treme. And naturally they want everyone to buy the harness.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 pm

I must of looked over it a little too fast. If the they're of the same wattage, I might give them a try. I definately wont go over the OEM wattage after seeing how badly damaged my wifes Max's connectors were. I wonder how much brighter the Rally bulbs are to the X-Treme's?

Gonzo

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Gonzo wrote:I wonder how much brighter the Rally bulbs are to the X-Treme's?
Since Philips is synonymous with lighting, I'd imagine their rally bulbs are the real deal. They'd probably melt our headlight assemblies, reflector and all. :shock:

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 am

Also if you have headlights over a certain brightness, they are only approved for offroad use and can get you a ticket or failed inspection. Just be careful when looking at higher rated bulbs, besides the fact that they could melt your assembly.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Just ordered a set from eBay. Hard to find here in the states or they're marked up some. Amazon shows a place that has them $22.50 but I couldnt find the "Buy" button. I just went to eBay instead. I noticed they have a different packaging than NVSteves picture. I'll post when I get them to see if they're really that much brighter and better than say the Sylvanias.

Gonzo

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Gonzo wrote:Just ordered a set from eBay. Hard to find here in the states or they're marked up some. Amazon shows a place that has them $22.50 but I couldnt find the "Buy" button. I just went to eBay instead. I noticed they have a different packaging than NVSteves picture. I'll post when I get them to see if they're really that much brighter and better than say the Sylvanias.
They are brighter compared to the 3 other types I've owned. "Much" and "better" depends on the person & how they quantify both. Hopefully you'll also notice a difference. Let us know what you think.

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 pm

NVSteve wrote: They are brighter compared to the 3 other types I've owned. "Much" and "better" depends on the person & how they quantify both. Hopefully you'll also notice a difference. Let us know what you think.
I have the Hella's in mine now. Have you by chance used these? Just want to get a feel of if the Philips are that much brighter.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:15 am

08 pathy wrote: I have the Hella's in mine now. Have you by chance used these? Just want to get a feel of if the Philips are that much brighter.
I haven't. I think the next one on my list is the Piaa, although those things are quite spendy. It's all pretty relative though-everything is going to be somewhat similar until one goes a different route than a plain Jane halogen.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I did a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit on the wifes Max and was totally impressed with the outcome. Now I wish I would have taken before and after pictures to really show everyone how well this works on old plastic headlights. Now all I need is to put the new bulbs in a its all good. For $25, cant go wrong.

Gonzo

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 am

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 am

NVSteve wrote: I haven't. I think the next one on my list is the Piaa, although those things are quite spendy. It's all pretty relative though-everything is going to be somewhat similar until one goes a different route than a plain Jane halogen.
Yeah I spent about fifty bucks on the Hella's and I'm not that impressed...

Return to “General Automotive”