front rotor removal on 94 XE?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

path94

front rotor removal on 94 XE?

Postby path94 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello everyone,
First post here. I have been trying to remove my front rotors on my 94 Xe and I'm stuck. I remove the wheel of course, the two bolts holding the calipers and moved them out of the way. Then I removed the hex bolts holding the bearings and now I"m at the point where theres a spindle in front of the rotor. How in the world do I take off that spindle so I can pull the rotor? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

path94

5 hours

Postby path94 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Hello everyone I finally finished my brakes and rotors it took 5 hours. I needed the help of some family friends to figure out this brake job. It was my first time doing a brake job and taking off rotors. For those trying this for the first time you will need special pliers to take of the c-clamp, kragen has these. The other hang-up was the the plate with the holes in it. The plate is screwed on and I believe some here use a special socket. I just used a allen wrench to turn the plate with the holes in it. Oh by the way buy bearing grease, you mine as well repack the bearings since you have to take them off anyways. I had to make two extra trips to kragen to buy the c-clamp pliers and to buy bearing grease. Next is the back drums and brakes!!

winter_sled

Postby winter_sled » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:05 pm

all that for a brake job?....spring can't get here fast enough so I can sell this piece of junk and get my summer car out. It'll be nice to drive a real car that has some power and handling

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:54 am

Yeah, the front brakes are a pain if you have to either replace the rotors or get them turned. They're bolted to the back side of the front hub, and the easiest way to separate the two is while the hub is still on the vehicle. Remove the caliper assembly and the six bolts holding it to the hub (in between the wheel studs) and use a mallet to knock the rotor off the hub (it might take some time/effort, and you may need to spray around the mating surfaces with a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster and let that soak for a bit). Then you have to remove the hub to get the rotor off (it's just an excuse to inspect and service the wheel bearings, if you ask me :wink: ).

If you have drums in the rear it's pretty straightforward (no easier or harder than drum brakes on any other vehicle, of any vintage)

I'm not too sure about rear disks, though. (My '91 XE has rear drums)

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”