Could use some help on a tech question(Thought it was a rod)

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

slowdriver

Could use some help on a tech question(Thought it was a rod)

Postby slowdriver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 pm

I was driving home from dinner when all the sudden I heard a loud ticking noise (almost clunking). I pulled over and I thought for sure it was a rod. I put the hazards on and drove home going like 10 mph. I had a mechanic come to the house and when I first started it up he goes, yep that's a rod. Then he got in and started reving it and it completely went away. I drove it around the block and it started up again but a lot quieter. He said it's probably a loose rocker arm. I wanted to know if that's a pretty easy fix for me to do or what would you advise me to do?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:07 pm

If your pathy is 2001+ and automatic, then you probably suffered from the dreaded power valve screws falling in the cylinders....

this is usually mucha moula $$$

read here: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showtopic=14826

and good luck...hope it's not that... give more details about your rig (year,trans,mileage ,etc..)
S.

slowdriver

Postby slowdriver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm

It is a 2004 auto with 60k miles on it.

There is no power loss and all compression there. The ticking will go away completely for a little while then come back. Almost like it falls into place and is ok but once it comes off track it starts ticking again.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Still, if i were you I would definitely take the time to see if all of the power valve plates are still there (yep, one user on another forum had 2 plates completely fall in the cylinders) with all the screws....

this is a 4-5 hours job for a non mechanically incline person or about 2 hours for a nissan tech... it is worth every penny in my opinion....

slowdriver

Postby slowdriver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Ok, yea, sounds like a smart idea. I'm going to check out some stuff tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated.
Thanks for the help

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 am

found anything ?

slowdriver

Postby slowdriver » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm

I took it apart yesterday...One of the plates and screws were gone. I managed to pull the plate out but the screws are gone. Hoping they just got sucked out to the exhaust and stuck in catalytic converter??? I checked the other plates and all the screws were loose so I just tightened them up. I have it parked and going to dealer to get 2 screws hopefully tomorrow.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 am

Sorry to hear buddy...but I was pretty sure it was that... Hopefully your engine will not be permanently damaged...make sure to check if oil consumption rises from then on...

I don't know if it's because you forgot to write it or not, but you absolutely need to locktite these screws or else they will come back to haunt you... red locktite them all...just re-tightening them will not do in the long run.

Cheeers.

Steve.

slowdriver

Postby slowdriver » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:06 am

well the nissan pathfinder went through an auction and I pulled 6k for it..not too bad...it was a salvage title and had lots of rear end damage (needed new gate and back bumper)

I just bought a 2005 nissan 350z w/ 60k miles on it...

Hopefully this one doesn't give me any surprises.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 am

I think you did a good deal cause the engine is definitely done...just a metter of time before it quits.... good for you and have fun with your 350..!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”