few boat towing questions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 pm

NVRDONE wrote:I also re-routed the breather lines from the charcol canister in the left rear fender & the rear axle vent. Just used longer hose & routed it up to the top of the gas filler neck. Just to prevent water getting into the canister & axle if I have to get in deep to launch / retreive the boat.
I've noticed vents under the bumper on vehicles that had the bumper removed, but never knew what they were for. They are breather lines? What are they used for?

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

awesome! i'll be ordering mine very soon then

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am

I tow a 22' boat w/ my 2006 Pathfinder. You will have no problems with your boat. The AirLift would be nice to have, but not mandatory by any means.

As far as the ramp - take it slow and easy and you'll have no problems. I think I've only needed 4WD a couple of times ever on the ramp. Once someone else must have had a oil/fluid leak as about 15' above the water line and really messed the place up for 4x2 folks. In general, I would say don't worry about it, just have fun at the lake and be safe.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 am

amr40509 wrote:I tow a 22' boat w/ my 2006 Pathfinder. You will have no problems with your boat. The AirLift would be nice to have, but not mandatory by any means.

As far as the ramp - take it slow and easy and you'll have no problems. I think I've only needed 4WD a couple of times ever on the ramp. Once someone else must have had a oil/fluid leak as about 15' above the water line and really messed the place up for 4x2 folks. In general, I would say don't worry about it, just have fun at the lake and be safe.
thx man. that really helps me feel better about doing this within the next couple of months! do you have to do any 'preparation' before starting to tow your boat?

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:03 am

It's a good idea to change the "fluids" on your PF just to be fresh. After you've done that, you need to sit down and recharge yourself with a few wobbly pops :) After that hook up and make sure all your stuff is secure and all the lights and turn signals work.

cheers,

:D

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:28 pm

AZ_Path wrote:
marvmmarv wrote:If you want the AirLift for a 2D, you have to kludge some from a set made for a Prius or something.
You will? Why is that? I'm using the Air Lift 1000 on mine. I don't see any difference between 2WD and 4WD. You're just stuffing a bag inside the spring.
Two years ago when I was shopping, Air Lift customer service said their kit was for 4WD only. The springs are different sizes (2WD to 4WD) and the 2WD market was not big enough for them to build a bag for it. They did say they have a similar size kit for some other vehicle that would probably work in the 2WD PF but no guarantees. If you go to their current catalog (http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html) and look for a kit for 2WD, they don't make one.

If you say the 4WD bag fits and works as expected, that's good to know. I bought the Firestone bags but I really would rather have had the Air Lifts. Next time for sure.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

marvmmarv wrote:
Two years ago when I was shopping, Air Lift customer service said their kit was for 4WD only. The springs are different sizes (2WD to 4WD) and the 2WD market was not big enough for them to build a bag for it. They did say they have a similar size kit for some other vehicle that would probably work in the 2WD PF but no guarantees. If you go to their current catalog (http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html) and look for a kit for 2WD, they don't make one.

If you say the 4WD bag fits and works as expected, that's good to know. I bought the Firestone bags but I really would rather have had the Air Lifts. Next time for sure.
I did notice that the website only lets you select a 4WD option, but the manual doesn't specify only 4WD so I didn't think much of it. I'm not sure if the springs were changed at all over the years, but I'm not having any problems on my '08. Here is a crappy phone pic that shows the bags installed. It looks the same as pictures of others I see installed.

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Yep, that looks like mine at low psi (maybe 10?), except that mine are Firestone blue. If I should ever have to replace mine, I am going to check back with you to see how yours are lasting. I might like to switch.

The ALs have a couple features I like. Both sides are tied together so you can fill both at once. (I would install a tee in my lines if I could find one.) The other thing is they go up to 30 psi, which would probably be a bit more firm.

AL customer service actually never said they wouldn't fit the 2WD, they just never tested them and didn't plan to.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 am

so im confused about the AL1000 now :oops: . do you manually fill them up w/ air every time you'd need to utilize their purpose of supporting the ass end of our paths? like, if you were about to tow something etc THEN you'd fill it up, or do they stay air filled/inflated all the time?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 am

webmastir wrote:so im confused about the AL1000 now :oops: . do you manually fill them up w/ air every time you'd need to utilize their purpose of supporting the ass end of our paths? like, if you were about to tow something etc THEN you'd fill it up, or do they stay air filled/inflated all the time?
5-10lbs for daily driving.

20-25lbs for towing.

Check every other fillup to make sure your not losing air.

t

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

are they strong enough to prevent bottoming out on jumps ?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:10 am

mar1nasr wrote:are they strong enough to prevent bottoming out on jumps ?
They'd probably help, but I wouldn't count on them.

t

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 pm

mar1nasr wrote:are they strong enough to prevent bottoming out on jumps ?
:o

So your Pathfinder is used as a sand rail? I think the bags will stop it from bottoming out, but I'm not sure how they would hold up over time with that kind of stress. Be sure to put the results on youtube for us to enjoy. :mrgreen:

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:18 pm

marvmmarv wrote:Yep, that looks like mine at low psi (maybe 10?)
Yup. About 10 PSI.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”