88 2-door White Pathfinder - that's all I know so far...

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

CYRUS

88 2-door White Pathfinder - that's all I know so far...

Postby CYRUS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello Everyone

I have just bought my first Pathfinder.

I've not even driven her yet.

anything i should know?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Welcome to the forums!...... Triffid

Scaramoche

things to do

Postby Scaramoche » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 am

#1 on that list should be to replace timing belt. hands down, that is the biggest issue with your pathy.

other things
replace distributor cap
get new sparkplug wires

the following is the end all be all site to get pathy parts
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/index.php

CYRUS

Postby CYRUS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome

Scaramoche, how much work did you do on yours by yourself? Looks like you have a beautiful ride there.

billyd

Postby billyd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 am

Cyrus , best of luck , my 89 had more rust (in 95) than your's appears to now. I can second the timing belt response prior. It will climb mountains and pull down tree's though. Ya cannot beat the looks of 2 door 4 runners and pathfinders..

Scaramoche

Postby Scaramoche » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:05 pm

CYRUS wrote:Thanks for the welcome

Scaramoche, how much work did you do on yours by yourself? Looks like you have a beautiful ride there.
how much work....lol, all of it.
I paid 500.00 for it. it had been in a front end accident, was originally black, had unknown miles, and within a month the engine died.

in a nuttshell, i began replacing body panels(from junk yard), pulled the engine, and rebuild, did tranny, new clutch, completly restored the interior, ie sanded, primed and painted all the interior panels, recarpeted, ....in a nuttshell everything from bodywork, to electrical, and apolstry.

Now here is the funny part, I'm not a mechanic(well i guess i am now), the last time i did a engine overhaul was 20 or so years ago. and never any bodywork etc. But being im on disability now, and have to do things on the cheap, I took my time, read everything, and asked alot of questions.

Ohh and i did the paintjob myself Oo, it's amazing what you can do with all the time in the world. As a note, at that time i did not own a compressor(finally got one a month ago, gottal love craigslist), so the paintjob i have gotton ton's of praise for, was done with rustolium spray paint cans lol. I sanded down to metal, primed(autospraypaint cans too :P), then sprayed. I did alot of sanding between coats, and am very satisfied with results(as a note DO NOT DO THIS, if you can afford a real paint job, it's time consuming, and as of yet i do not know how it will hold up in the long run, but it still is glossy, pretty, and awesome right now). As a note i also clearcoated it the same way.

CYRUS

Postby CYRUS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 am

there is a bit of rust by the wheelwells and the sidesteps are totally done! :)

i have driven her for the first time today and all seems to be going well thus far.

i'm reading up on the timing belt issue and will get on it as soon as i can.

Scaramouche, from what i see, the work you've done on the outside is quite smashing... i will be searching the site for more pictures of your beauty to see where i can take inspiration from.

The first order of business is to see if there's any way to fix the fuel guage...

CYRUS

Postby CYRUS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

PS. I too paid 500 for mine... seemed a good deal

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”