looking to buy

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mikeshunk

looking to buy

Postby mikeshunk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:18 am

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a 2005 pathfinder with super low miles. I was wondering what to look for as far as problems. I kind of wanted to stay away from this year since it is the first year of a redesign, but with as low of miles it has, I have to give it a look. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:00 am

Dont worry about an '05 due to it being the first year of a new design. There are some things to be concerned about but they arent exclusive to '05 models.

Timing chain tensioners- The timing chain tensioners can go bad early and get noisy. Some do, some dont. There is a tech bulletin out for the repair of these, but no recall. Supposedly the parts are updated. Some who have had the problem have gotten Nissan to warranty the problem, some havent been so lucky.

Fuel guage sensor- Alot of us are encountering this problem. The in-tank sensor on the sending unit goes bad and screws up the gas guage readings, including the dte (distance to empty). Nissan just announced a recall on these but it doesnt include '05 models... not yet anyway.
Nissan is getting plenty of complaints from '05 owners, so we will see. The part is about 80/90 bucks but the fuel tank has to be dropped to service it. A repair from the dealer will cost you much more.

Transmission cooler leakage- Lately the big concern has been the radiator trans-cooler gettting an internal leak and coolant contaminating the transmission fluid. It is very easy to bypass the internal cooler to prevent this problem. 45 minutes under the car, and free to do, if you do it yourself.

IPDM/ER Module- There is a fuse/ relay panel under the hood that is known to go bad and leave the car dead, randomly. It could die going down the hi-way, or while trying to start in your driveway. The part is about $200 from the dealer. It is easy to replace though, it literally took me about 15 minutes to do it. The replacement is also supposedly updated.

I have an 05 that I bought 3 1/2 years ago. It had 16,000 miles on it when I bought it. I now have almost 110,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had from above are the fuel guage sensor, and the IPDM module. Both have occured since turning 100,000 miles.
My Pathy has been a fun, reliable car. I have made a few mods to it, taken it to the drag strip, been across the country a couple of times in it. Towed a few big loads, hauled people, gear, etc. I am not disappointed in it at all.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:24 am

my 08 just threw the code for the sensor on the sending unit

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am

I had the fuel gauge sensor go out at about 40k, the IPDM go out at about 42k and the passenger side catalytic converter go out at 50k. I have and extended warranty that covered it all. (the cat was still covered under the factory emissions warranty - I think up to 80k)

MrPunchy

Postby MrPunchy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 am

When I went to look at the Pathfinder I got yesterday they already had it in the shop replacing the fuel gauge sensor. My dealer said that the check engine light had come on and when they tested it then noticed the recall. If you were buying one now I would just ask about the recall and ask them to complete it.

mikeshunk

Postby mikeshunk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 am

Just wanted to update this post. I ended up buying that 05 I was looking at. It's a black 2005 SE with only 18,000 miles on it! Had to drive almost 2 hours to get it, but it was worth it. We didn't even know what model it was till they pulled it up and as soon as I seen the fog lights and running boards I knew it wasn't the standard package. We put about 400 miles on it so far and it runs like a champ. Much nicer then our old 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport! Now I just need to get a bug deflector and window ventshades and we'll be good to go.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”