Headlights

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Headlights

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:36 am

I've had the Pathfinder a few months and my biggest complaint so far is the headlights. Worst of any vehicle I've owned in many years and I'm driving primarily state-routes crossing national forests....200# deer everywhere. Switching to high beams does very little and you can see where the beam has a designed cut off. Has anyone tried adjusting these up? While I'm sure that will help some, I'm concerned my low-beams will start blinding everyone. If no one has tried, I'll be the guinea pig and give it a shot.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 am

I drive an 08 Pathy and I do not think the headlights are that bad. But maybe it has alot to do with the persons eye sight, etc..I know I prefer the fog lamps on with the headlights. Have you considered changing the 9007 bulbs to PIAA or something else? look on http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... esults.htm

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:17 am

I will change out the lights if adjusting doesn't do anything. More interested in trying the adjustment first as there's a clear cut-off to the OEM lights on high beam. They just don't shine very far down the road. My previous Tundra, wifes Odyssey, and my Dodge all had nearly twice the distance.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:03 pm

skinny2 wrote:I will change out the lights if adjusting doesn't do anything. More interested in trying the adjustment first as there's a clear cut-off to the OEM lights on high beam. They just don't shine very far down the road. My previous Tundra, wifes Odyssey, and my Dodge all had nearly twice the distance.
Perhaps they were set wrong after an accident or other service?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm

I suppose anything is possible. No accidents according to previous owner, just three oil changes and I bought at 15k. I suppose it's possible she complained of blinding other drivers and they adjusted them. Doesn't look like anyone here has really tried so I'm going to go it alone. I think I'll turn the drivers side up one full turn and the passenger side two full turns. We'll see what happens.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Adjusted them tonight. One full turn on drivers side, two full turns on passenger side. The gap under the headlamp is rather large on the passenger side so they're probably higher than normal. I took it out my drive just to see if I could tell a difference (really couldn't). The first pic is low-beams, the second is high beams. Notice the reflector you can barely see in the second pic. It's about 100' down the drive from where I stopped. For giggles I took my wife's Odyssey down and did the same thing, first pic is low beams, second is high. Reflector is just a tad more obvious :shock:

Pathfinder Low

Pathfinder High

Odyssey Low

Odyssey High

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:06 pm

something ain't right man. My pathy has way better illumination than that. Its to the point where I never actually need to turn on my high beams. And yes, I live in deer country too.

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:56 am

I'm not sure the photo's really do it justice (although the reflector is pretty tough to argue....) but you can see more than the camera captures. It's pretty good for comparitive purposes though. There is a pine tree about 20' beyond the reflector that you can see clearly in the Ody, but it doesn't show up on camera. Pathfinder wasn't lighting it at all. I'll have to see what happens out on the open road but I don't know what could be different about mine beyond adjustment of the lights. I feel blind without high-beams driving these abandoned state routes at night. I've thought about some monster Hellas or something too. If I'm running late at night, i've driven 20 miles before passing another car so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch them off every once in awhile.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:08 pm

I read on a frontier forum that they were adjusting their lights 2 full turns and noticing good improvements. Maybe try 1 more full turn

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 pm

You think these are bad, you should have driven the Dodge Nitro I traded in on the Pathfinder. Every Nitro owner complained of them. I switched to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and it made a noticeable difference. I went ahead and bought Silverstar Ultras for the Pathfinder on my way home from picking it up yesterday. Prepare for sticker shock ($40-$50) but in my opinion worth it.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:04 pm

I hated my high beams also. So I got creative. I replaced the factory grill with a Grillcraft mesh gril & mounted 2 Hella's behind the grill. If I knew how to post pictures I would do it. But any way, the hella's are wired direct into the high beams & reall help.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”