tranny change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 am

SPICOLI wrote:nightstalker 6 - I have been having that rumble strips noise in my transmission for the last three months and could not figure it out. My tranny fluid is dark red, kind of like yours.

I noticed that the rumble sound only happened while "cruising", by that I mean 45mph and up at 1200rpms. I finally got fed up and took it into the dealership to get it checked out. Turns out my tranny is F####D. I just found that out today and I bought the PF seven months ago. I talked and pleaded to the dealer, and they seemed to have been very willing to help me out. They did a bunch of research into costs and availability and it turns out that they will get me a rebuilt transmission with a 3 year warranty and install it for $1200 as a sign of good will. The actual cost of the new tranny and labour is roughly $3500.

My symptoms are very similar to yours. Fortunately my dealership, Jonker Nissan in Surrey, BC, Canada is awesome. The guys there wanna help you and they treat me and my kids like family. They went out of their way to find an affordable solution to this issue and the only "GOOD" thing is that the cost is minimal compared to what it could be. As soon as the new tranny is in, it's bypass time. :cry:
Was the radiator issue the cause of the tranny failure? They can go bad for other reasons. Did the radiator get replaced as part of the job?

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:43 am

IMO - if you're driving an 08+, it's normal, especially if you've had the reprogram for the "thump" that was at the same speed/slight load, same RPM.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:46 am

Tech wrote:IMO - if you're driving an 08+, it's normal, especially if you've had the reprogram for the "thump" that was at the same speed/slight load, same RPM.
what's normal? :?

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 am

the "washboard/rumble" at 1200 rpm/ 30mph, slight load. part throttle.
different from the contamination "washboard"

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:55 am

Tech wrote:the "washboard/rumble" at 1200 rpm/ 30mph, slight load. part throttle.
different from the contamination "washboard"
OK, thanks
That sounds like it would be annoying :o , especially driving on city streets a lot
But I wonder why they are replacing the OPs transmission if it's normal :?

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 am

it would be, for sure. It is very specific to those exact conditions though. The ones i studies are minor, but noticable. completely gone with any additional road speed/load/rpm anything - they previously had a hard thump under similar conditions. OP? My guess is that as the industry is a bit slow, warranty is going up...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:04 am

:shock:

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:29 pm

IT'S OFFICIAL. I AM A VICTIM OF A RADIATOR COOLER FAILURE!
SOOOO, My dealer is getting me a brand new tranny and a brand new radiator. Does anyone know if they've updated the rads had the leak situation fixed?

My dealer also suggested to phone Nissan Canada and complain. Apparently, Nissan Canada has helped out a few owners with their bad rad/tranny issue by sharing some costs.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Hey SPICOLI,
Looks like you're in for more riding time! Shoot me your VIN and I can look some stuff up for you. Are you out of warranty? If Nissan helps you out, it'll be something like 1/3 each for you, dealer and Nissan. It's rare, but possible they will cover you outright, but you'd have to be just out of warranty. Shoot me your mileage too.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Tech, I'll send you a PM when I get a chance.

They're telling me that my PF will be fixed by Monday afternoon. We'll see.

My dealership rented me a 2010 F250 Super Duty and even paid for gas, so I have nothing but praise for them. They are really taking care of me.

I've been riding my V-Star for a while now, and I can't wait for the crappy rainy weather to stop because I'm getting tired of putting on Rain Gear.

OH WELL.

ravrunner

Postby ravrunner » Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Tech wrote:If it is infact contaminated....why not flush with something cheap like matic D/dextron (any trans shop $70-ish) then "spill and fill" as needed with Matic J - that way your at least sure you're not circulating coolant contaminated fluid and risking damage.
you think this would reset the check engine light? i am a victim of the tranny rad problem, replaced the radiator and flushed both systems but it appears the tranny still has problems after driving it for about 500 miles, it is slipping when you first accerlerate.

I am in the process of trading it in because dont want to deal with this anymore just want to shut that check engine and getting workin decent again for the trade, it worked for the first time we flushed it, at I think that was what was done to it......it could have been just drain and fill.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I noticed that Rockauto carries trannies for our pathys. $2800 plus freight, which they have listed from their warehouse to North Dakota for about $40.

Also a $700 core, so if freight is the same on the way back, that makes parts for this replacement a little better than $2000 US.

Not as bad as I thought it would be....

t

ravrunner

Postby ravrunner » Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 am

yeah considering the price of $6000 price the dealer gives you!!!

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 am

ravrunner wrote:...you think this would reset the check engine light?
There arent any sensors tied to the ecm that would detect bad trans fluid or bad coolant.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 am

When my tranny failed, there was no check engine lights that came on. The only way that I knew that something was wrong was the rumble noise and weird shifting/almost slipping at cruising speed at low rpm's.

It's all behind me now, fortunately it only cost me $1200, the dealer absorbed the rest of the cost for the tranny and the rad. I was told that Nissan thinks that the manufacturer of the radiator thinks that there was a huge batch of bad radiators that was produced early on and ended up being installed in the early Pathfinders and Frontiers. Apparently the new rads are supposed to have been re-designed or upgraded or something like that.

I'm still gonna phone Nissan Canada and give them an earfull. Worst case scenario, they'll tell me to pound sand, and best case, they'll give me my $1200 back or give me more warranty or something.

Crossing my fingers,

:lol:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”