Choosing Speakers to be run off aftermarket headunit

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Choosing Speakers to be run off aftermarket headunit

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Hey so I finally took the plunge an a new head unit (I'll post pics when all is completed). I've decided I'm not going to loom my vehicle with countless cables and amps etc so I'm just going to rely on power from the new head unit 50x4 (peak) /w 4 ohm speakers. Knowing I'm not going to be pushing more than 50watts to each 6x9 or 6.5, I'm thinking that using a set of 300-600watt capable speakers would be a waste since they will never get the power they were expected to operate at.
So I was thinking about something like the Boston Acoustics SL series? I had a Boston setup in my old Sentra that sounded spectacular (be it 10 years ago). Anyone have any suggestions? I got a sweet deal on a Alpine PLV-7 so that bad boy is getting in there too. There any point to keeping the speakers uniform?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:34 am

I have Boston's in my Saab and it made a hell of a difference. People complain that the Infiniti's are too bright. The Boston's give a greater presence.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I spent some time ta a local Tweeters listening to the Alpine , Polk, and JL's but there seemed to be something missing.
I think the old Kenwood I had was something around 25watts peak at each speaker in my old Sentra and it seemed to do an fine job with them, but man did they come alive when I hooked an amp up to them, something I'm trying to talk myself out of this time around. I have a feeling I'll be ok with 18W RMS but for how long is the key.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:17 am

The S line of Bostons are the old Rally's. They changed the name last year. One option is to replace the paper in the dash and doors with the S's and do an amp with woofer where the bose woofer is in the back. It can be all tucked away and invisible. It's an idea, not sure if it will work for what you are looking for.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 am

I used Alpine SPR-69LP Type R for the front and Alpine SPS-170A Type S for the rears... They sound much better than the stock Bose speakers... I have not changed the tweeters or the sub yet... Hope this helps!....... Triffid

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:53 pm

I just nabbed a set of Boston Acoustics SL95 and SL65 for the doors, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Just waiting to hear the status of my Alpine PLV-7 repair.

Fofiddy

burn your stock speakers!!!!!!

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am

Well, The Bostons are in and, just plain WOW, so happy with my decision to replace them. I'm even happier now that I found out that the stockers are all 2ohm and were a threat to my new head unit.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:18 am

That's good to know. I guess more auto companies are doing the 2 ohm thing. My Saab has 2 ohm speakers for the door subs, it doesn't leave many options.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”