Anyone added a backup camera yet?

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Anyone added a backup camera yet?

Postby blink32 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 am

I've been thinking about getting another PAC Audio component (VCI-NIS1) to integrate a backup camera into the existing LCD. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has done anything with add-on camera's or even fully integrated systems of any Manufacturer like I am looking at. I personally am not interested in changing head units or having an externally mounted lcd for the camera but wouldn't mind hearing about them.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 am

The only ones I have seen are on the titan boards. All the new pathfinder guys, seem to put in a whole new head with all the goodies.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:12 pm

I added a nice one made by Pioneer (ND-BC1). It has a fish-eye lens and gives very good coverage of what's behind you. I have mine setup just above the license plate (to the left, just below the chrome trim) and it's angled enough so that I can just see my trailer ball - makes hitching up VERY easy.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 pm

was it a completely stand alone setup, came with own monitor and all or did you integrate it somehow? Details man details. :)

ConstantNRG

Postby ConstantNRG » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 pm

whatsup blink

hopefully i can help answer your question. I have on my truck a pioneer camera which is excellent both during day and night hours. Mine is hooked up to an lcd monitor mounted below my radio in the pocket where the 4x4 switch was. So if your looking to integrate a camera into your factory nav screen a camera like this would be your best bet.

If you dont have factory nav, you could either get a double din radio like an alpine iva-w205 or a kenwood 7100 or something like that which has an iput for a camera. One of these would be nice because not only does it automatically switch the camera onto the display when you place the vehicle in reverse but you also get the added benefit of nav, ipod, mp3, and better sound!

Hope that helped!

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 pm

i have the camera mounted just below the rear chrome piece on the tailgate. wire runs into the tailgate, up and through the rubber wire grommet, back down the inside of the truck, under the carpet to the center console (under the arm rest/storage) and plugs into a little camera module. that module then provides power TO the camera and video signal TO the head unit. I have an Alpline double-DIN IVA-w200 headunit that has camera input. I decided to skip the reverse signal and can switch to camera at anytime via the touchscreen. helps a lot because I can see my tow hitch when i'm backing up and the camera has a VERY good fish-eye lens to see behind.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 pm

What did you use for a camera, and when can we see some pics?

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:45 pm

There's always the $100 option from Walmart for a back up camera. Not a bad looking unit. Just need to wire the camera into your Navi system, or find a home for their monitor. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4744711

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:02 am

I have the Camera option my my PF. its nice but I dont use it alot. I drive class 8 trucks with just mirrors with a 53ft long trailer. But my wife love the camera. I would do it.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:24 am

They are much cheaper at pepboys for the same thing. usually on sale for around $50.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 am

I'm still desiring this option. Of course priorities have a reason to sneak up on you. :) I'm probably going to end up removing my PacAudio AAI-NIS2 and replacing it with a higher end model that has video inputs and what not. My ultimate goal is to have a camera that both comes on when in Reverse and that I can power on by simply switching the inputs on the display. Last I had checked it wouldn't be too difficult, just sourcing the correct power wires. Worse comes to worse I would just have it powered at all times and manually switch the display for those times I need it in rev.

darksidepath

Postby darksidepath » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 pm

I baught a backup camera from ebay that mounts on your license plate.
i have a 2006 pathy LE with navi. i put a bypass unit in and wired it to turn on when the gear is switched to Reverse. Also the camera is powered to the backup light( so it powers on when the gear is switched to reverse)
works like a charm and loving it.
total cost 100 for the bypass unit and 40 for camera.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Fofiddy wrote:What did you use for a camera, and when can we see some pics?

camera is a Pioneer ND-BC2. it's a universal camera - your monitor just needs to have a regular video input. as for pics, i'll add them when this forum has a way of uploading them or inserting them in the messages.
This camera has a nice lens to let me see what's behind the truck pretty clearly. And I use it a LOT when backing up.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 pm

darksidepath wrote:I baught a backup camera from ebay that mounts on your license plate.
i have a 2006 pathy LE with navi. i put a bypass unit in and wired it to turn on when the gear is switched to Reverse. Also the camera is powered to the backup light( so it powers on when the gear is switched to reverse)
works like a charm and loving it.
total cost 100 for the bypass unit and 40 for camera.
this displays on the NAV screen ?

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I tried adding the VCI-NIS1 and it kept blowing a fuse (bottom right, called electronic parts). The fuse seems to be related to the Nav, even though it continued to operate just fine with the fuse blown. I was back and firth with PAC support but they couldn't think of any problem.

All I can think of is maybe it didn't like getting powered from the AUX 12V jacks? I was going to try powering directly from the display 12V to see if that helped...

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”