brake pads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Npath

brake pads

Postby Npath » Wed May 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Dumb question here... do the 05+ Pathfinders come with ceramic brake pads or semi metallics?

Fossilfuleburner

Postby Fossilfuleburner » Wed May 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Not sure about their composition but they're the longest lasting pads I've ever had a vehicle. My 05 Pathfinder has 96,000 miles and there's still plenty of pad left. It looks like it will go 130,000 miles easy. When it comes time to replace I'll definitely use the factory pads again.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 am

you guys are lucky!

replaced mine at 35000, second time at 55000 !

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu May 27, 2010 2:14 am

Fossilfuleburner wrote:Not sure about their composition but they're the longest lasting pads I've ever had a vehicle. My 05 Pathfinder has 96,000 miles and there's still plenty of pad left. It looks like it will go 130,000 miles easy. When it comes time to replace I'll definitely use the factory pads again.
Wow, you must do a lot of highway driving. I've got 50K Km. (31K miles) and the dealer said I need new front pads pretty soon. So, got ceramics, Raybestos's service grade.

It'll be a few years where I'll finally see how long they'll last.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: brake pads

Postby disallow » Thu May 27, 2010 5:28 am

Npath wrote:Dumb question here... do the 05+ Pathfinders come with ceramic brake pads or semi metallics?
I was told they are Ceramics at the dealer....

t

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 am

Npath wrote:
Fossilfuleburner wrote:Not sure about their composition but they're the longest lasting pads I've ever had a vehicle. My 05 Pathfinder has 96,000 miles and there's still plenty of pad left. It looks like it will go 130,000 miles easy. When it comes time to replace I'll definitely use the factory pads again.
Wow, you must do a lot of highway driving. I've got 50K Km. (31K miles) and the dealer said I need new front pads pretty soon. So, got ceramics, Raybestos's service grade.

It'll be a few years where I'll finally see how long they'll last.
Do you NEED new pads, or did the dealer TELL you that you needed new pads. Pop a tire off and take a look for yourself.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu May 27, 2010 5:01 pm

disallow wrote:
Npath wrote:Dumb question here... do the 05+ Pathfinders come with ceramic brake pads or semi metallics?

t
WRONG!! semi metalics are used on most vehicles from the factory, that is why we get lots of brake dust on the wheels, Ceramics omit no dust.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am

disallow wrote:

t
Dealer was sorta lying to you. I replaced my front brake pads yesterday morning and they do have metallic in them. The magnet did attract and placed the magnet on the new Raybestos "service grade" pads and did not attract whatsoever.

The attraction was not as strong as the semi-metallics, so there was metal in them and probably some ceramic compound in it.

There's 3 grades, I wanted the next one up, but no stock.

First 10km. drive felt funny, like I had to brake harder. After, it felt like normal braking.

Thanks for answering my inital question. :)

And yes, I needed new pads soon as I only had 1/8 of an inch left. Paid $100 for brake pads... better than $395 at the stealership.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri May 28, 2010 3:37 pm

KEVSTER wrote: WRONG!! semi metalics are used on most vehicles from the factory, that is why we get lots of brake dust on the wheels, Ceramics omit no dust.
The oem pads on the R51 are ceramic. Ceramics have less dust, not no dust.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri May 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Mine are still original too with 110,000 miles.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:07 pm

BMXPath wrote:
Mine are still original too with 110,000 miles.
guys! u gotta get me the brand/make/part numbers/anything of those brake pads!

my numbers above are in Km, not even miles!

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

pop up the caliper and check the pads, all the 4.0L trucks are known for having great looking outside pads while the inner is down to nothing. You will find jobber pads feel like shit, no matter what the parts guy says. You will also find that the braking effort is harder and they become noiser sooner. Also, if you get the mid or "high" grade ones that perform half decent, they will dystroy and blue your rotors. Also make sure there is a provision for the spring that goes between the pads. I've worked jobber and factory and done hundreds of brake jobs both ways.... I will ALWAYS use factory pads, unless going to the track or something with EBC or hawk.

Npath

Postby Npath » Sat May 29, 2010 2:20 am

BMXPath wrote:
KEVSTER wrote: WRONG!! semi metalics are used on most vehicles from the factory, that is why we get lots of brake dust on the wheels, Ceramics omit no dust.
The oem pads on the R51 are ceramic. Ceramics have less dust, not no dust.
I placed a magnet on the front pads and it attracted. It never slid off as I held it vertical.

Placed the magnet on the Raybestos ceramic pads and fell off.

I bought my SUV new, so is there a difference with Canadian models, then? Seems stupid to have different sets per country.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Now I am curious about the oem pads, are they ceramic or not? I said they are because of what aftermarket listings say... Yes, aftermarket listings.

Examples:
Akebono brake pad listings say, "OE material is ceramic"

Beck Arnley brake pad listings say, "Ceramic pads: OE equipment type pad material"

Npath

Postby Npath » Sat May 29, 2010 7:05 pm

BMXPath wrote:Now I am curious about the oem pads, are they ceramic or not? I said they are because of what aftermarket listings say... Yes, aftermarket listings.

Examples:
Akebono brake pad listings say, "OE material is ceramic"

Beck Arnley brake pad listings say, "Ceramic pads: OE equipment type pad material"
If you have 20 minutes, you can re and re the wheel and a brake pad very easily. Anyways, yeah, there was a pull when I placed the magnet 1/4" away from the surface.

Unless..... the dealership threw on almost worn out pads and took mine for their own use.... seeing members having their original pads in for so long.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”