lol @ what i was quoted with this service charge

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

lol @ what i was quoted with this service charge

Postby webmastir » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 am

ok...so you people tell me what you think of this...

the dealership where we bought my wifes 06 path called & gave us the typical "your vehicle is due for tune up" spiel. i call & ask what they do to it. he called & said a few things, he said if you were to mainly just want to get the spark plugs done on it, it's going to be around 500$. so i laughed & said .. "wow, that;'s quite expensive at such a simple task. why so much?". he replied with "well, we have to take the upper & lower plenum off" (which is why price is so high cause of mostly labor i guess).

is this really necessary to change the spark plugs on this (having to take both plenums off)? i've changed plugs before on other cars that use coils, and i've never found it to be THAT hard. now im sure there are other threads on changing plugs, but i wanted to get other thoughts on our price quote. ridiculous or not so ridiculous?
(it's a 2006 pathfinder se (v6 2wheel drive))

disallow
Site Admin

Re: lol @ what i was quoted with this service charge

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

webmastir wrote:ok...so you people tell me what you think of this...

the dealership where we bought my wifes 06 path called & gave us the typical "your vehicle is due for tune up" spiel. i call & ask what they do to it. he called & said a few things, he said if you were to mainly just want to get the spark plugs done on it, it's going to be around 500$. so i laughed & said .. "wow, that;'s quite expensive at such a simple task. why so much?". he replied with "well, we have to take the upper & lower plenum off" (which is why price is so high cause of mostly labor i guess).

is this really necessary to change the spark plugs on this (having to take both plenums off)? i've changed plugs before on other cars that use coils, and i've never found it to be THAT hard. now im sure there are other threads on changing plugs, but i wanted to get other thoughts on our price quote. ridiculous or not so ridiculous?
(it's a 2006 pathfinder se (v6 2wheel drive))
Way ridiculous. What is your mileage? Plugs should be good for 100k or so.

Some related threads:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=3206

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2040
t

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 am

mileage is around 96k (bought around 90k-91k). so i guess this task is prob due soon

i pulled a plug about 1k miles after we had bought it (in jan of this year i think it was..didn't seem too bad yet)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:26 am

webmastir wrote:mileage is around 96k (bought around 90k-91k). so i guess this task is prob due soon

i pulled a plug about 1k miles after we had bought it (in jan of this year i think it was..didn't seem too bad yet)
Looks about right. Thinking about tackling mine this summer.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 am

I changed mine at about 95,000 miles. The old ones still looked quite good. As for your $500 quote, that is not much of a surprise. Removing the plenum must make it somewhat easier. I did my plugs myself without removing the plenum... It took me almost 3 hours to do the passenger side, vs 20 mins for all 3 on the drivers side.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

BMXPath wrote:I changed mine at about 95,000 miles. The old ones still looked quite good. As for your $500 quote, that is not much of a surprise. Removing the plenum must make it somewhat easier. I did my plugs myself without removing the plenum... It took me almost 3 hours to do the passenger side, vs 20 mins for all 3 on the drivers side.
And a back ache to go with that. Ouch!!

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:11 pm

I would not pay more than $350. Fortunately I spent only $50 for the plugs and saved all the labor when I was able to replace the passenger side in about an hour and a half. One of the above links posted describes how I did it without removing the plenum or any other procedure described in the service manual. Good luck!

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm

twinblown wrote:I would not pay more than $350. Fortunately I spent only $50 for the plugs and saved all the labor when I was able to replace the passenger side in about an hour and a half. One of the above links posted describes how I did it without removing the plenum or any other procedure described in the service manual. Good luck!
ya i'd never pay someone to do such a, mostly, simple task. i'll probably try it your way. thanks

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”