A/C and Fan issue

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mkmcllln

A/C and Fan issue

Postby mkmcllln » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:35 am

Hi all,

Hope someone has some insight to my issue: Just lately I've noticed a problem with my A/C. I drive a 2005 PF XE, about 60,000 Miles on it.

The fans only seem to work when on setting 4, now I know that happens in a lot of vehicles but here's the weird thing; When on settings 1-3 the AC works, I can feel cold air 'dribbling' out of the vents, so the fans are obviously not working. But, when I turn it up to setting 4 the A/C turns of and the fans start to work. So in order to keep cool in this heat wave I've been having to Run the AC on fan setting 3, let it build up in the system a bit, then turn up to setting 4 to blow all of the cold air into the vehicle. (it's not quite the ideal situation).

Does anyone know what could be causing this odd problem.

Thanks!

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 am

Sounds like it could be a resistor problem with your blower motor. The resistor is used to control the fan speed. The number 4 setting is the fan running with no resistance. I would check the resistor before anything else.

mkmcllln

Postby mkmcllln » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:02 pm

GbayPathfinder wrote:Sounds like it could be a resistor problem with your blower motor. The resistor is used to control the fan speed. The number 4 setting is the fan running with no resistance. I would check the resistor before anything else.
Thanks for your help. I found the section in the service manual that explains how to check the resistor. I'm going to hopefully get around to checking it out tonight.

mkmcllln

Postby mkmcllln » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:41 am

mkmcllln wrote:
GbayPathfinder wrote:Sounds like it could be a resistor problem with your blower motor. The resistor is used to control the fan speed. The number 4 setting is the fan running with no resistance. I would check the resistor before anything else.
Thanks for your help. I found the section in the service manual that explains how to check the resistor. I'm going to hopefully get around to checking it out tonight.
So, it's almost certainly the blower motor resistor, turns out they're very easy to replace... just not so easy to pay for. It seems crazy that this resistor can cost upwards of $150 here in Ontario.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm

That is too bad that it is that expensive. Did you check the autoparts places for cost, sometimes they will have the replacement part for less than the dealer. I know that buying parts is not cheap in Ontario

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”