brake pads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 am

As far as I know, most pads materials are blends of components - some for good friction, not too much to keep dust down, ceramic, resins, etc, etc. I'm not sure what the cut-off is for how much of any one material makes a pad one designation or another. Even the factory pads get reformulated from time to time. R50's are on they're 3rd or 4th now....Also, if you checked a pad that was kinda low or used a strong magnet, you may have been feeling the attraction to the steel backing...

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Tech wrote:I will ALWAYS use factory pads, unless going to the track or something with EBC or hawk.
Tech - I've heard good things about EBC. My '05 PF I bought last month from a Nissan dealer. The brakes squeal a lot when cold. Once warmed they give a light squeal under light braking. I've asked about this when serviced twice - both times thay said "pads are in great shape", blah blah blah. They claim it's the pad type (metal?) and it's normal and safe. OK, so be it. But I HATE the squeal. So for just normal daily hwy/street driving, what pads would you suggest? I'm just gonna replace all 4 wheels/sets just to get rid of that dang noise. And should I turn the rotors? Or are there others I should just replace them with?

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Spamcan wrote:
Tech wrote:I will ALWAYS use factory pads, unless going to the track or something with EBC or hawk.
Tech - I've heard good things about EBC. My '05 PF I bought last month from a Nissan dealer. The brakes squeal a lot when cold. Once warmed they give a light squeal under light braking. I've asked about this when serviced twice - both times thay said "pads are in great shape", blah blah blah. They claim it's the pad type (metal?) and it's normal and safe. OK, so be it. But I HATE the squeal. So for just normal daily hwy/street driving, what pads would you suggest? I'm just gonna replace all 4 wheels/sets just to get rid of that dang noise. And should I turn the rotors? Or are there others I should just replace them with?
I would suggest Nissan OEM pads. My originals didn't make any noise till I installed Raybestos ceramics (service grade) low model.

They say you should have the rotors turned, but if you don't feel any pulsating, before install, then more than likely you don't need to.

I suggest don't bother changing the rear pads as they last a lot longer than the fronts. But, of course, that's up to you.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

EBC green stuff pads. I've had them for almost 6 months with the sport slot rotors and no noise and better stopping distances. Autoanything had them on sale. Not sure if it's still going on.

They have already saved me in a few close calls. Construction in Jersey is awful right now and people wait till the last second to merge and cut everyone off. Even keeping a safe distance, the chain reaction almost caused a pile up because of a Mini.

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:12 pm

How you guys get such mileage?! I got 15k km (9k mi) on front, 37000km (23k mi) on back and now at 42k km (26k mi) front are gone again?! This on the diesel...

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

boogyman wrote:EBC green stuff pads. I've had them for almost 6 months with the sport slot rotors and no noise and better stopping distances. Autoanything had them on sale. Not sure if it's still going on.

They have already saved me in a few close calls. Construction in Jersey is awful right now and people wait till the last second to merge and cut everyone off. Even keeping a safe distance, the chain reaction almost caused a pile up because of a Mini.

+1 on that have tha same setup , quite a bit better that stock , and the price for all four rotors and pads was less than from nissan or jobber parts

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

dieselfan wrote:How you guys get such mileage?! I got 15k km (9k mi) on front, 37000km (23k mi) on back and now at 42k km (26k mi) front are gone again?! This on the diesel...
All depends on how often you ride/use your brakes. My OEM fronts, I got over 50,700 KM on them. May have gotten 51k KM on them if I pushed it.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm

true , I had 78,000 km on mine with about 10-15km more on them .

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Spoke with my dealer...he reckons we have a dif compound another Pathy owner gets same as me, 15k km front set and around 30 on the back - OUCH at 200USD for the front only it will be every service

Kami

Postby Kami » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm

To be honest and though i would never say that "the dealer pads are amazing.."

Ive just hit over 40000 miles and there still going...and i drive like a maniac (safe maniac)..and iam not kidding lol

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 am

How does climate affect the compounds? I want the pads you guys have having to replace mine and this on the diesel every 9k miles is a bit much.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”