05 trans bypass question

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bati

05 trans bypass question

Postby bati » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 pm

i'm about to bypass my trans. I've been recently notice my trans slipping anyhow. I know there are diagrams posted on this topic but i'm not sure which hose to chance....can you please let me know if i have this figured out correct with my photo creations.

disconnect hose from A. and connect it to B.

hose connect from A. to B.

move hose B. and connect to A. openning

B. to A.

bypass COMPLETED

please let me know...if this is correct..

thanks, :?:
Last edited by bati on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

do your photo creations correspond to this diagram?
trans slipping? how does your oil look?
bellwilliam wrote:just did the bypass. easier done than describing it. but I did not use any additional parts. no coupler, no hose clamp (reuse original), no zip tie.

you have 2 hoses -
hose A - from external transmission cooler to radiator (passenger side)
hose B - from radiator (driver side) to engine block.

take hose A off radiator (passenger side) and plug into engine block
take hose B off engine block and plug into radiator (passenger side), forming a loop within.

reuse all the old hose and clamp. length is perfect.

Before

After

bati

Postby bati » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:07 pm

eieio wrote:do your photo creations correspond to this diagram?
trans slipping? how does your oil look?
bellwilliam wrote:just did the bypass. easier done than describing it. but I did not use any additional parts. no coupler, no hose clamp (reuse original), no zip tie.

you have 2 hoses -
hose A - from external transmission cooler to radiator (passenger side)
hose B - from radiator (driver side) to engine block.

take hose A off radiator (passenger side) and plug into engine block
take hose B off engine block and plug into radiator (passenger side), forming a loop within.

reuse all the old hose and clamp. length is perfect.

Before

After

my oil looks okay but there was some metal debris on it.

I did follow that diagram and i tried to it with actual pictures anyhow is this the engine block connection

bati

Postby bati » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 am

BUMP

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Yes, it looks to me that you got the right connections. Hose A to barb B, hose B to barb A. You create a closed loop with hose (A) on the cooler in the radiator, then take the hose (B) going to the air to air external cooler in front of the radiator and attach it to the feed line (A) coming from the transmission. I did mine exactly like this with no problems at all.

asgard

Postby asgard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

I used the same routing on my 07. I did drill a small hole in the plastic radiator cowl and put a cable tie in so the pipe looping the radiator was out the way for oil filter changes.

bati

bypass completed

Postby bati » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:06 pm

bypass completed. :)

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Looks good... just like mine :D

Now you can relax, knowing that you won't have a messed up tranny for a simple fix.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm

is this the same procedure for an 07? also how much trans fluid/coolant usually leaks out when swapping the hoses around? debating on doing this in my driveway but dont want a mess.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 pm

NYPathfinder wrote:is this the same procedure for an 07?
yes, if your external trans cooler is on the passenger side of the radiator ( i think its position changed in 2008.)

NYPathfinder wrote:also how much trans fluid/coolant usually leaks out when swapping the hoses around? debating on doing this in my driveway but dont want a mess.
very little, maybe a pint of fluid, if that.
(better hope there's no coolant in it! :shock:)

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks for setting up the pictures and diagrams. I did my bypass today it was so simple. I also took the opportunity to clean up and repaint my skid plate. Its amazing what salt and winter conditions do to metal!

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for setting up the pictures and diagrams. I did my bypass today it was so simple. I also took the opportunity to clean up and repaint my skid plate. Its amazing what salt and winter conditions do to metal!

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:08 pm

GbayPathfinder wrote:Thanks for setting up the pictures and diagrams. I did my bypass today it was so simple. I also took the opportunity to clean up and repaint my skid plate. Its amazing what salt and winter conditions do to metal!
Last weekend, I did this mod and cleaned and repainted my skid plate too. I also enlarged the oil filter access hole 1/4"-3/8" all the way around. I deburred the new edges so they were very smooth. Today, I change the oil without any injuries. The bigger hole made a ton of difference. The first time I changed the oil, I cut my hand and arm pretty good. I got where I used an old welding glove to avoid getting cut.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 am

thats funny, I just changed the oil in mine this weekend for the first time using that little hole and cut the shiite out of my finger and gashed my arm up pretty good too.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:44 am

I admit it's a tight squeeze, but in a dozen oil changes, I've never received any life threatening injuries. Wonder if a batch went out, with a bad stamping on the skid plate, leaving sharp edges.

My toughest time is the angle that I have to reach in to get to the filter makes it difficult to break it loose. I can't seem to get a good initial grip on it. Once it's spinning; no problem.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”