WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:48 am

link didn't work for me

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:04 pm

It works for me, I just clicked on it..

CiK

Postby CiK » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Where would this be mounted? I did the bypass last month with no problems, but am worried about towing next spring with a boat.

Tony

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:16 am

CiK wrote:Where would this be mounted? I did the bypass last month with no problems, but am worried about towing next spring with a boat.

Tony
A lot of people are mounting them behind the factory Trans cooler. There is a lot of room behind there and the a/c fan draws air through it when it comes on.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

I suddenly find myself in a situation with the necessity of needing to do considerable towing with both of my by-passed 2005 Pathfinders.
I would like to add an additional cooler to each.
Having no time to experiment & fabricate mounts & such, can anyone recommend to me what has worked for them?
I'd rather not install a fan, but am open to suggestions there too.
Quality components are very important to me. I don't mind spending
the additional money for them.
Thanks! :)

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:17 pm

EIEIO - This link was what I was originally going to do.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

This type of cooler is like the one Kevster was linking to, just a different size. A better cooler would be like the factory one on our PF, a stacked plate design. etrailer.com has a bunch of coolers to look at.

I ended up using a Hayden engine oil cooler that I had hanging around. It's not a cooler I exactly recommend, but it works fine.

After another member reported that during low speed use, the transmissions were heating up a bit, I added a fan I also had laying around.

What I personally plan to do at some point, is to get an 05-07 cooler to bolt to the passenger side, as it would bolt right on. On your '05, you could buy an '08+ cooler and just bolt it in to the driver's side. You can see all the top mounts in the pictures for both factory coolers mounts.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 pm

08Datsun wrote:What I personally plan to do at some point, is to get an 05-07 cooler to bolt to the passenger side, as it would bolt right on. On your '05, you could buy an '08+ cooler and just bolt it in to the driver's side. You can see all the top mounts in the pictures for both factory coolers mounts.
That's a good idea. Have you looked into how difficult it would be to link it all together?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:57 pm

08Datsun wrote: A better cooler would be like the factory one on our PF, a stacked plate design. etrailer.com has a bunch of coolers to look at.

What I personally plan to do at some point, is to get an 05-07 cooler to bolt to the passenger side, as it would bolt right on. On your '05, you could buy an '08+ cooler and just bolt it in to the driver's side. You can see all the top mounts in the pictures for both factory coolers mounts.
thanks for the etrailer.com suggestion, 08Datsun :)
i like the Derale Series 9000 coolers
the Derale website shows several larger Series 9000 models as well
i'm wondering if an additional cooler mounted to the "drivers" side of my radiator will restrict air flow through the engine radiator too much.
also, there are several components already mounted there (horn, a small finned component about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and a black cylinder of sorts, about 4" x 10", mounted vertically).
and, for the upper mounts, there doesn't seem to be more than one mounting hole provision on the cross-member between the headlights.
i'm also wondering if i really need an additional cooler :?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 pm

pawjr - You'd just use rubber hose to link them. Likely it would be the bottom outlet of the 05-07 cooler to the top inlet(visible on mine) of the 08+ cooler, and the bottom outlet back to the transmission.

eieio - A transmission temp gauge would really help figure if you need one the additional cooling. I've been meaning to put one on, but haven't gotten around to it. The additional restriction is definately something I was worried about. I can tell you that the engine seems to run cooler than before, in that the electric cooling fan(the factory one behind the radiator) has only come on once or twice this whole summer. Unfortunately, we haven't had it in the 115+ temps that we usually do during the summer this year. BTW, the tiny cooler that you mention is the power steering cooler, which is mounted lower down horizontially on the '08+.

What I can tell you guys about the transmission heating part, the Hayden cooler is now the first cooler(essentially replacing the radiator cooler), and it is always hot. The factory auxiliary cooler is still the 2nd cooler and it is almost always cool. This is even when towing our tent trailer down the freeway. The 2nd cooler gets hot when towing in the hills and really hot when backing the trailer into a space or up our driveway. It will also get hot when in dense city traffic not towing, and when off-roading on slow trails. The little extra fan I added has a thermostat and the probe is at the outlet of the 2nd cooler. When it gets hot, the fan turns on.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”