hood protector/bug shield

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DavidT

hood protector/bug shield

Postby DavidT » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:47 pm

Hello. New here to the forum, and to the pathfinder as well. I plan on purchasing a hood protector/bug shield for my 07 Pathfinder. Autozone has it for $50. The stealership has it for $75. Is there any difference between the two? If I'm not mistaken, the Nissan brand screws into the underside of the hood and the Autozone one uses adhesive to attach to the hood. Any suggestions?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:06 pm

I used a factory one which is produced by LUND. I can't comment on the Autozone one but the LUND is a perfect fit on the 06, very securely mounted, no complaints. It does screw in to the hood, but it uses the factory holes where the push-ins hold the hood weatherstripping in with new hardware so there is no drilling or potential for rust. I did upgrade my screws and washers. I ended up losing one and couldn't find an exact replacement so I went with slightly oversized Stainless Steel screws and washers for a slightly tighter fit but the stock ones work perfectly well.

What brand is the AZ one? The sticky tape mounting already puts me off because this product is supposed to install under the weatherstripping and you will need longer clips to remount that stripping.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Usually any accessories from dealership you can't go wrong.
the question might be can I find an aftermarkter accessory that is cheaper and will do the same.
so if the bug protector from autozone is best for you because of cost, that would be your desicion.
on the other hand, will it fit correctly, does it look nice, etc. then you might consider the dealership brand.
just go with what you feel is best. cost and looks.
good luck. if you go with the autozone brand takes some pictures and post it here. we would like to see it :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:41 am

mtbpath wrote: if you go with the autozone brand takes some pictures and post it here. we would like to see it :)
I'd like to see some pics of the one from Nissan (installed). Does everyone have one primarily to deflect bugs?

Also, did anyone install the sunroof wind deflector? If it makes that much of a difference, I think I'll pick one up.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:58 am

NVSteve wrote: I'd like to see some pics of the one from Nissan (installed). Does everyone have one primarily to deflect bugs?

Also, did anyone install the sunroof wind deflector? If it makes that much of a difference, I think I'll pick one up.
Steve, check here: http://www.hesslercomputing.com/gallery ... d=1&page=1

If there is a specific picture your looking for let me know as I am home today and could take it or post it if I already have it. I installed it for rock chips and what not on the leading edge of the hood. With the salt and sand they lay down out here for snow on top of the regular road rash thats out there I see tons of cars with chipped up and rusted front hoods. It has the side bennie of deflecting bugs ;).

My path had the sunroof deflector already installed but I have been in other vehicles where it significantly reduced the noise factor and helped create more of a suction effect to pull air out of the roof as opposed to not having one installed.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:58 am

blink32 wrote: If there is a specific picture your looking for let me know as I am home today and could take it or post it if I already have it. I installed it for rock chips and what not on the leading edge of the hood. With the salt and sand they lay down out here for snow on top of the regular road rash thats out there I see tons of cars with chipped up and rusted front hoods. It has the side bennie of deflecting bugs ;).

My path had the sunroof deflector already installed but I have been in other vehicles where it significantly reduced the noise factor and helped create more of a suction effect to pull air out of the roof as opposed to not having one installed.
Thanks for the photo offer, but the photos you have in the link you provided answer my questions.

The only reason I didn't order the sunroof wind deflector when I purchased the vehicle has to do with snow. I'm just afraid that when it snows & completely fills in the underside of the deflector, if it will then freeze and crack the thing. I usually brush off the top of my car when it snows, but I'd really not like to climb up and scoop out all the snow from under the deflector. Do you usually clean it out when it snows? Have you had any issues with snow turning into a brick of ice and cracking the deflector?

I'd definitely have the same concerns with the bug deflector, especially since the gap would be much smaller & thus harder to clean out.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:06 am

On both counts I have had the ice brick up in there with the snow out here. But typically the sun melts enough of it to allow it to slide out and be removed in one or two chunks. This may not work as well on the clear versions but on the smoked ones I haven't had an issue where it swells faster than it melts.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Haha! Resurecting a dead thread.......

Does the hood mounted deflector actually do anything? Does anybody notice a difference?

jking63

Postby jking63 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 pm

I was looking at a clear version of the leather bra from 3M.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:53 pm

nutbar78 wrote:Haha! Resurecting a dead thread.......

Does the hood mounted deflector actually do anything? Does anybody notice a difference?
I think it does a decent job of protecting the front lip of the hood from stone chips etc. Thats about all it does though.

Mine's starting to get pretty weak, I think the carwash did it in during winter.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:10 pm

jking63 wrote:I was looking at a clear version of the leather bra from 3M.
I had a clear bra from 3M on my 01 Acura RSX. Loved it.

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 pm

I have custom cut Ventureshield covering the entire front bumper and leading up the hood and fenders about 18". I love it and it's virtually invisible even on black. Wash and wax just like the paint. Ventureshield is owned by 3m, but it is a clearer and smoother clear paint protection film than the normal 3M.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 am

I think the Bug Shield is doing its job. It keeps the hood from being hit by bugs and of course the front lip. I like how easy it cleans up after a good bug swarm intermetzo. Soap and water takes all of the guts right off. I just wih the bumper was that easy to clean.

I also noticed that my hood no longer vibrates. It must act like a spoiler and keeps the hoos from lifting.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:45 pm

hfrez wrote:I think the Bug Shield is doing its job. It keeps the hood from being hit by bugs and of course the front lip. I like how easy it cleans up after a good bug swarm intermetzo. Soap and water takes all of the guts right off. I just wih the bumper was that easy to clean.

I also noticed that my hood no longer vibrates. It must act like a spoiler and keeps the hoos from lifting.
Did your hood bounce up and down prior to your bug shield? My hood does and it drives me insane. When I first got the vehicle I thought it was going to come off. I took it back to the dealership and everything is tight, it just has alot of flex and bounces. If the bug shield stops this bounce, I might have to purchase this. I already have the sunroof visor as it cuts down on the noise produced from that hole in the roof when open.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm

volvite wrote:
hfrez wrote:I think the Bug Shield is doing its job. It keeps the hood from being hit by bugs and of course the front lip. I like how easy it cleans up after a good bug swarm intermetzo. Soap and water takes all of the guts right off. I just wih the bumper was that easy to clean.

Did your hood bounce up and down prior to your bug shield? My hood does and it drives me insane. When I first got the vehicle I thought it was going to come off. I took it back to the dealership and everything is tight, it just has alot of flex and bounces. If the bug shield stops this bounce, I might have to purchase this. I already have the sunroof visor as it cuts down on the noise produced from that hole in the roof when open.
It sure did but has not done it since I put on the Bug shield.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”