R51 REAR SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS!!!!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

kizzzottt

R51 REAR SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS!!!!

Postby kizzzottt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm

So I keep trying to find the culprit for my shotty ride on my 07 Pathfinder SE. I originally bought the truck used and the tires were not the best. so I figured that was the problem....new tires....rides even worse and seems to get worse everyday.

The ride can be described as such:

- SMALLEST CRACK OR CHANGE IN THE ROAD.........WHAMMMMM!!!! BOTTOM OUT, SHIMMY LEFT AND RIGHT LIKE WE JUST HIT WASHBOARDS ON A GRAVEL ROAD....

- POTHOLE....HOLD ON...YOUR HEAD MIGHT HIT THE CEILING!

Seriously...I've got my kids in the back and this thing doesn't feel safe. Its a 4X4 model and it should ride decent, right?

If you do a search on google for "NISSAN PATHFINDER RIDE QUALITY"....The results will come back mixed with:

- Ride quality unmatched....or....ride quality a bit firm but nice.........BS! MINE RIDES LIKE S#!T!!!!!!

Does something need to be fixed or replaced or should I just trade this turd in?

- b

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Few questions:

What are you coming from? (Van, sedan, wagon, etc)
Since you bought used? Miles?
Did you have the rear shocks checked out?

For a SUV, the pathfinder I find is one of the better riding ones. The rear can wallow a bit depending on the road/curve/etc, but at the cost of giving it a smoother and nicer ride. Many folks just drop in some air bags into the rear springs and find it helps a TON. It did for me.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 pm

what tires/sizes/pressures are you running now?
did you have your alignment checked?

kizzzottt

Postby kizzzottt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I've owned numerous vehicles which have included SUV's, trucks, sports cars, 2 seater sports cars, diesel trucks....etc...NOTHING I HAVE EVER OWNED RODE LIKE THIS P.O.S.!

I have a 275/70-18's (XD ADDICT's) on the Pathfinder as of now. I run 38psi all the way around. The ride seemed better the day I upgraded to the larger wheel/tire combo...but is now getting worse and worse.

My last vehicle was a 2007 Nissan Frontier SE and I absolutely loved that truck. It was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I bought this Pathfinder used with 40K....It rode decent for about the first month and then has gotten progressively worse day by day. I have the certified preowned warranty until 100K. I took it in and they said it runs perfectly. Heck, one of my customers is a previous Nissan tech and he says he's never heard of any problems from nissan owners.....yet....on here I read mixed reviews. THERES BOUND TO BE A SIMPLE ANSWER TO THIS!!!!

Based on my visual observations, it appears that the lower rear control arm's rubber bump stop is bottoming out on the frame.....is this correct and that Nissan doesn't have enough travel in the rear, hence the constant bottoming out?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm

neither of my R51s have the symptoms you describe at all!
both have stock size tires & run OEM recommended tire pressures.
no suspension mods have been done.
they are properly aligned.
they handle fine & have no stability issues at all.
i suspect that either your aftermarket rims & tire sizes and/or your alignment may be the issue(s).

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

oh, and BTW kizzzottt, "R51 SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS" is not at all true.
yours might, due to improper modifications, or perhaps lack of maintenance, but the suspension does not suck, officially or not.
or maybe you just don't like the truck................ :wink:

kizzzottt

Postby kizzzottt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm

eieio wrote:oh, and BTW kizzzottt, "R51 SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS" is not at all true.
yours might, due to improper modifications, or perhaps lack of maintenance, but the suspension does not suck, officially or not.
or maybe you just don't like the truck................ :wink:
If you would read, you would realize that I wrote that it actually got better for a time being after the larger wheels. I installed the larger tires and wheels due the the $hitty ride. It got better and now gets progressively worse.

I have since put the original wheels and factory tire size back and on and guess what....its still bottoms out. I can look at the rear suspension and visually see that there is only about 3 inches of travel between the lower control arm and the frame.....That doesn't make since to me.

I want this vehicle to be the best SUV out there, but it doesn't look like it has a chance.

Can somebody give me a relevant story and solution?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm

:roll: i can read just fine, kizzzottt..........
you want a relevant story & solution?
try some quality replacement tires on your OEM wheels.
replace any worn suspension components.
get your alignment checked & adjusted as necessary (this is the part you obviously have not read or acknowledged)
if these recommendations do not solve the problem, modify whatever the heck you want to........
and if that does not work, trade the "turd" in!
BTW: Suliman mentioned: "Many folks just drop in some air bags into the rear springs and find it helps a TON. It did for me."
If you would read, there have already been several valid suggestions made for you in this thread................. :wink:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Didnt have time to read all the replys... Sounds like you need shocks hence the bottoming out and how its progresivly getting worse. So i say new shocks and struts. BTW anything will ride like crap on toasted shocks thats why it bottoms out the shock isnt slowing the movement its just along for the ride.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:00 am

key word - shock absorber

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:00 am

shocks, sounds like you need new ones, as stated above.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 am

Well I won't go so far and agree that this is the worst riding vehicle I've owned...but it has issues. I'm running stock tires/wheels, Bilstein shocks, and airlift 1000 and while they have improved the handing/wallowing...it has done nothing to the jumpiness. Certain bumps/potholes sends my PF in strange directions. Frost-heaves are particularly troublesome at highway speeds...it feels like the PF jumps several inches to the side. It's really the only complaint I have and it is a big enough one I'm considering selling. When you hit a bump at 70mph and your vehicle lunges to the side...it scares the shat out of you.

I'm going to install new tires soon, have the alignment checked again and see what happens. If it doesn't improve I'll probably go shopping. No idea what to buy...it took forever to decide on the PF.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 am

If it's become progressively worse, then have your shocks replaced. The rear springs *DO* officially suck, as I used to bottom out quite often while driving around town. But, this does not sound like a spring issue at all. If you are looking for a very stable & much firmer ride, replace both the springs & shocks on all 4 corners.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:51 am

What kind of weight do you carry in the back. Maybe the weight and bad shocks are the combination that's making your truck bottom out. I've carried a LOT of weight in the back of mine and I've never had these issues.

I would definitely have a look at the shocks.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 am

Officially sucks? No. If you are having problems with yours, it is Not typical. Sounds like what others are saying... you may have other problems.

I say the rear suspension officially rules! The first day of owning my Pathy I realized too late that I was entering a curved on-ramp going too fast. I ended up drifting the Pathy thru the turn effortlessly. If I had been in an SUV, without the IRS, I dont think my experience would have been as pleasant.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”