Blacked Out Wheels

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Buzz0515

Blacked Out Wheels

Postby Buzz0515 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:26 am

I’ve had this truck for around 2 years and ever since I first bought it, I thought it would look great with black rims. I looked around online, but never found any I really loved. I’ve seen a couple people around the forums with the XD Addict rims, which were my favorite that I saw, but I still couldn’t bring myself to buy whole new rims.

So after seeing the success other people on here have had refinishing the stock rims, I decided to take that route. I did some research on the proper way to paint the rims, went down to the auto parts store and picked up the parts, and then spent the Labor day weekend taking the plunge haha.

Here’s how they turned out. Sorry, I didn’t take any progress pics, but there are plenty of tutorials out there as to the proper procedure for painting rims. You just have to make sure to take your time and put in the extra preparation steps in order to get a good final result:

I decided I wanted a gloss black look, so I put three coats of clear onto them:

They look a little dirty cause I've been driving around with them painted for about two weeks now, but the paint and clear has held up great!

I’m really glad I did this. With the tinted windows, I think it really enhances the look of the truck. The next thing I want to do is do something about the side steps. I’m either thinking just take them off, or take them off and try to paint them. Any thoughts?

Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 am

Buzz,

That looks great. I am would like to know how you dealt with not getting paint on the tires.

Thanks

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 am

I needed a day where I could put the truck up on jack stands and get all 4 wheels off at the same time, so that's why I waited until labor day and the extra day to work.

I took all 4 wheels off, cleaned them as hard and best I could, sanded them down thoroughly with 400 grit, wet-dry sandpaper, and then taped around the rim with the tire still on. It took a lot of time and tape to get a nice edge, because since you are trying to follow a round edge with straight lines, I used a lot of little strips. Looking back, if I had got a little bit of black paint on the tires, it wouldn't have mattered since the tires are black, and the paint doesn't adhere well to rubber. I could have gone back and scrapped off what little overspray there was. I still recommend taking your time to tape off the tires though

madrock

Postby madrock » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 am

I bought a deck of 3x5 cards and wedged them between the tire and the wheel. If you tape the tire off, make sure it is nice and clean or the painter's tape won't stick.

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:55 am

That's a good idea. I tried something like that on one tire, but I was afraid of the paint beading up around the edge of the wheel at the cards and peeling off when I removed them.

That's a very good point about the tires though. I scrubbed the wheels and the sidewalls of the tires thoroughly to make sure they were clean and still had trouble getting the tape to adhere properly sometimes. I also found that regular painters tape wouldn't stick enough, and used some pretty strong regular masking tape.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 am

the gloss paint really makes the wheels look good. i might do that with my stocks since they are in storage.

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

I've been thinking of doing this too. It looks really good with the Silver color ( i have he same color). I've been thinking of doing the roof rack and step rails all black as well maybe with bed liner for extra durability. Maybe I'll take like 4 days of leave to try and do this. I might end up using like paper board and cut it in semi circles and wedge it in between similar to the cards.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:59 am

Nice work, did you remove the center caps to do this ? or did you leave them in place? And if so did you remove the Nissan logo ?

RoNYC

Postby RoNYC » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I have been wondering how a silver PF would look with black rims, VERY NICE! GREAT JOB!

RoNYC

Postby RoNYC » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

I have been wondering how a silver PF would look with black rims, VERY NICE! GREAT JOB!

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

I was thinking of using Krylon Fusion (for plastic) in a flat black on the side steps.

I would take the steps off the truck, clean and prep them good, mask the step pad off, then paint them.

Now to find the time!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm

8) Very nice job on the wheels, blk on silver looks amazingly sweet. Nice looking pathy you have. I had my steps painted blk at a auto body shop for a Ttl of 160.00, I did the prep work they sprayed. Paint is holding up very well.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Nice job they look good!

09path

Postby 09path » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 pm

definitely looks awesome, I'm glad you posted pics, I have a silver one too and always wondered what black rims would look like. Really nice job!

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Love the look....I guess I found another project...damn...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”