Blacked Out Wheels

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 am

I did take out the center caps, and also removed the chrome Nissan logo from them. Once you have the center caps off, it's pretty easy to snap out the chrome logo from the back side of the caps. Then I just did the same procedure as the wheels before putting the chrome logo back on.

I like that idea, valenburg, of spraying the side steps in bedliner to give them better grip while getting rid of the faded plastic look. I'll have to take a look at them closer once I get them off the truck this weekend.

Thanks for all the compliments to everyone as well. Let me know if I can help with close up photos if anyone wants to see!

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 am

Buzz0515 wrote:I did take out the center caps, and also removed the chrome Nissan logo from them. Once you have the center caps off, it's pretty easy to snap out the chrome logo from the back side of the caps. Then I just did the same procedure as the wheels before putting the chrome logo back on.

I like that idea, valenburg, of spraying the side steps in bedliner to give them better grip while getting rid of the faded plastic look. I'll have to take a look at them closer once I get them off the truck this weekend.

Thanks for all the compliments to everyone as well. Let me know if I can help with close up photos if anyone wants to see!
Thanks,

did you mask off the center bore hole ? I was wondering if painting in there would cause a fitment issue, or not painting in there could lead to chipping.

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am

I didn't tape off the inside of the center bore hole, and I painted it with no problems of fitting back on the truck.

I also sanded and painted the interior of the rim using a high-heat, flat black paint intended for bar-b-ques. I had a whole can left over from a previous project and it seemed to be a good fit for the application. I wasn't very precise on painting this area or bother to clear coat it, because it is just going to get covered in brake dust.

I DID however tape off the entire milled face of the back side of the rim where it bolts to the hub. I did not want paint on this surface as it probably heats up pretty well and didn't want the wheel to become stuck to the hub and leave a mess.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Buzz,

I am not sure what the benefit of seeing colse up pics would be but since you have me now committed to painting the wheels I would like to see them, so thanks for your offer to post them.

Also, I am wondering why you painted the inside of the wheels?

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 am

The reason I painted the inside of the wheels is due to the previous paint. Once I had the wheels off the truck and cleaned off the years of built-up brake dust on the inside, I found the interior were painted silver like the exterior. I didn't want the insides to look different from the exterior of the wheels so I painted them black as well.

Here are some more close ups of the wheels:

I also ended up taking off the side steps this weekend and think it looks a lot better. I think I'm going to leave them off for now. If I find that it's hard for people to get in, I'll refinish them and put them back on later. Here's some new pictures of the truck:

RoNYC

Postby RoNYC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm

It does look better without the steps. Maybe if the steps were black it would look better on the Pathy. Thanks again for posting those pics.

RoNYC

Postby RoNYC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:34 pm

It does look better without the steps. Maybe if the steps were black it would look better on the Pathy. Thanks again for posting those pics.

ba23

long term durability?

Postby ba23 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Buzz,

Sorry to re-open an old thread...just checking back in to see how well your this paint job has held up to the elements, scratches & installing new tires, etc?

I've followed several threads here & thenewx (2nd gen xterra) on using bedliner, but I want to see how standard glossy paint has held up over time. Still debating at-home job versus dropping coin for powder coating. Thanks!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”