Transmission Shudders in Overdrive

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

markvk

Postby markvk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Update

Brought it in to the Dealer this AM-waited 1 hr and a half for them to tell me they found a soft code error but they could not figure it out so they had to call Nissan. It could be the TCM Module which is price but still cheaper than a replacement tranny. I have to wait for them to call the Technicians out in Eastern Canada for some clarification on the error code. Yeesh!

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:29 pm

sucks. my wife, who drives our 06 path se(106k miles), just informed me that the vehicle shudders at around 45mph now. i was like...how long has this been going on??!?!? "oh...about a week or two". damnit woman! :x

markvk

Postby markvk » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Check the rad fluid asap and get it changed. I think I was lucky so far because I have put on alot of miles on the Pathy since I came back from the Dealer check and have had no issues at all so I think just changing the rad did the trick. See if Nissan will help out

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:12 pm

webmastir wrote:sucks. my wife, who drives our 06 path se(106k miles), just informed me that the vehicle shudders at around 45mph now. i was like...how long has this been going on??!?!? "oh...about a week or two". damnit woman! :x
OH NO! :shock:
i just responded to your other post in the other thread about the by-pass instructions
i hope it's not too late............
you need to do a real close inspection of your transmission fluid right away!

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 pm

how do i differentiate the shudder/vibration at 45mph between a failed tranny versus a failed u-joint?

if i accelerate or decelerate the shudder/vibration goes away.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 pm

webmastir wrote:how do i differentiate the shudder/vibration at 45mph between a failed tranny versus a failed u-joint?

i'd do a careful inspection of the trans oil and the u-joints
..........could be either
might even be something else
but if it's the tranny or the u-joints, it'd good to find out right away

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 am

My truck had the shutter at 1500rpm and was more noticeable at uphill grades. But in addition to this shutter was a vibration that started around 60mph and increased with the speed.

I went under and started inspecting the drive-line/u-joints. I found the u-joint on the front shaft by the transfer case was shot. It had lateral movement of almost a 1/4".

To be sure I removed the propeller shaft from the truck and took it for a test ride. Shutter and vibration are gone. I will be replacing both since I have it out the other one looks like it doesn't have much life left. The seal is starting to leak.

So in my case it looks like the shaft being out of balance was causing the tranny to shutter.

webmastir wrote:how do i differentiate the shudder/vibration at 45mph between a failed tranny versus a failed u-joint?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”