Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/75/16's

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MrTypical

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/75/16's

Postby MrTypical » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 pm

The BFG Long Trails hit 55k and had to go. So I researched for an extended time online and decided to go with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs from my local Discount Tire. I drive 80 highway miles a day to work, and then need something that can handle construction site mud, clay, and sugar sand when I get there. The Pirelli seems to offer a street biased all terrain tire, which is perfect for me. I have a '07 SE that came with 265/70/16's. I upgraded this time to 265/75/16, so roughly a 1" increase. They fit great, no rubbing. They are an E rated tire so they are pretty stiff. Good side is the sidewall flex during cornering is gone and you can really feel the road. Bad side (wifes opinion) is you can really feel the road, rides more like a truck now, but is in no way harsh or jarring. I personally like the change, to compare it to a car; it's like going from a touring tire to a low profile performance tire. The performance tire is stiffer and provides more response to the driver. These tire are very quiet at any speed, I don't believe they are any louder than the old tires they are replacing. These are brand new, so no real off road info to provide yet, but they handle great on the highway. I'll post an update down the road if you guys want. Here's a couple links to flickr for picks, I can't figure out how to imbed them here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtypical/4379360693/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtypical/4380116152/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtypical/4380116528/

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

When I was looking for tires (2 months ago), I checked on Consumer Reports online and they rated the Pirelli Scorpion as the top SUV tire as well as giving it the Consumer Reports coveted Recommended status. Bridgestone Dueller was second and Yokohama Geolandar (my tires ) finished third. I got a sick prices on the Yokohamas that no one else could touch so I just couldn't say no.

Good buy. :D

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 am

I've always been a big fan of Pirellis. Had a set of P3000s on my civic, and put well over 120k kms on them, they were actually still in decent shape, but had developed a wobble, common on hondas due to active suspension. (you feel it on the honda, but most other vehicles you wouldn't notice.)

t

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 am

I have about 40K miles on the same tires (265/70/16 size though) and have really liked them. I do get my dirty pretty often as I do a lot of camping/hunting/fishing. They actually have done really well. I will probably replace mine later this summer in the 45-47K of use range.

Mind do flat spot some overnight, especially if I come home on a sunny winter day where the roads have a little warmth and then let the truck sit in the cold driveway all night. They will thump a little for about 5 min until they get warm and smooth out.

I'm not sure if I will go w/ them again, try out the REVO's, or save a few bucks and go with the Yokos next time - but they've worked out well.

MrTypical

Postby MrTypical » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 am

6 month update for anyone interested in these tires. I've put 8k on them, and they really are great tires.
They are super sticky on the asphalt, even in the rain. I regularly push them hard on an highway entry ramp on my way to work, and my exit speed has gone up from 45mph (with the bfg's) to 55 mph. I don't push it any further than that, not b/c of the tires which seem to still have more to give, but because the pathy feels like it's ready roll over if I go any faster.
Off-road they are just as good. I have done a few dozen muddy hill climbs without ever slipping.
The tires are still very quiet, and I haven't noticed the "cold night flat spot" issue with them at all. (it has been hot here in Florida though).
These are not a bad a$$ mud tire, but bottom line is I'd recommend these to anyone looking for an AT tire that looks tough and still needs to behave on the highway.

BamaRed

Postby BamaRed » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 am

Same tires I have on mine and I agree, they are great tires. I have out almost 20k on mine and still have great tread left. Very good in wet weather and on a basic trail. Have not done any heavy duty off-road work, but have worked fine getting me to the hunting camp and back.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:50 am

I had them on my old grand cherokee and they were great. I lost 1 mpg, but never had any trouble with them.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks for the update. Sounds like this is a great tire. Does anyone have any experience to share about these in snow?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:11 am

I went through a couple winters with them and also delt with mud and was fine with both. Just drive smart and don't overdrive the tires. A few inches of snow at 45 is no problem at 55 you start to get squirrelly.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 am

Well after somewhere in the ball park of 50K miles I'm going to get rid of these tires. They still have some life left, but are pretty much done.

I'm going to switch it up and try some Mich. AT2's and see how it goes. They are similar price and seem to get decent reviews.

Any thoughts?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”