Alternative Transmission Cooling Solutions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Alternative Transmission Cooling Solutions

Postby eieio » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:52 pm

many of us who have by-passed the internal radiator transmission cooler are still in a quandary as whether to leave things as-is, or add an additional cooler, fan, etc.
since there is a lot of information scattered across so many threads, perhaps a topic dedicated to this subject might be helpful
subject matter might include:
temperature guages, monitoring, and comparisons
different external cooler additions, mounting locations, and fitting
additional cooling fans and control circuits
alternate radiators, their quality & fit
anything else?
some of the information may be redundant, as it may have appeared in other threads, however, to have it all in one place might make it more effective to share information, so that those considering such measures can learn & contribute their experience also
:)

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Im running just the stock cooler with a fan. Most days in normal driving I see temps ranging from 160-185. On days here when it was 100 degrees plus, temps would easily reach 210-215 in stop and go driving. Quite honestly, the fan does not move enough air to make a difference so I will most likely remove it or make some modifications to try and improve airflow (maybe a shroud). Lately weather has been in the 70's here and the temps stayed around 165 in normal driving. But of course now the temps are at 0 because its sitting in the shop waiting on a new transmission : ) And no, its not because of the bypass. I think I bypassed too late. Bought it used and it has had a little slip in 4th gear since I owned it. It busted a trans hose last week and lost over 5 qts of fluid before I could find a safe place to stop. So it overheated and completely tore 4th gear out.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 pm

For those extreme cooling needs..... http://www.designengineering.com/catego ... prayer-kit

but seriously.... I feel a good fan wired to a relay with a thermostat would help the most during stop and go traffic, when forced air across the external cooler would be needed the most.

knickick

Postby knickick » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for the link Storm4.0. It help me to find that extreme cooling one. :D

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 am

I'll be installing a B&M supercooler, Spal fan, and a Spal 185 degree temperature sensor soon:

http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCooler ... B000CIGE9G

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/mer ... e=30100393

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/mer ... gory_Code=

I'm currently running with a bypassed radiator cooler and have seen transmission temps rise as high as 230*F (per my BullyDog Triple GT) in stop-and-go traffic. I'll post pics when I'm done with the install.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:04 am

goblue90 wrote:I'll be installing a B&M supercooler, Spal fan, and a Spal 185 degree temperature sensor soon:

I'm currently running with a bypassed radiator cooler and have seen transmission temps rise as high as 230*F (per my BullyDog Triple GT) in stop-and-go traffic. I'll post pics when I'm done with the install.
sounds like a good plan
where will you mount the fan & cooler?
did you have the BullyDog Triple GT prior to the by-pass?
if so, did you experience significantly higher transmission temperatures after the by-pass that you can attribute to having done the by-pass?

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 am

eieio wrote:
sounds like a good plan
where will you mount the fan & cooler?
if so, did you experience significantly higher transmission temperatures after the by-pass that you can attribute to having done the by-pass?
I haven't determined the mounting location yet. I plan on working on this in a couple weekends and will take pics of the install. No, unfortunately I did not have the BD before I did the bypass.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

goblue90 wrote:
eieio wrote:
No, unfortunately I did not have the BD before I did the bypass.
that's too bad..........
it sure would be helpful info in order to determine the need for additional cooling

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”