can't bleed brakes

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

terry.cx

can't bleed brakes

Postby terry.cx » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Ok, I'm feeling stupid. I bled brakes many times on different vehicles and this is killing me.
93, 4wd, 4 wheel disk brakes.
My master cylinder was slightly leaking so I replaced it. No big deal.
Bench bled the new one, bolted it on, bled the brakes, the peddle goes to the floor. Did this several times. started with the load sensor, followed the recommended pattern. I even took the negative battery cable off.

At this point, thinking it was the MC, I bought a new one. Same thing. I can get the peddle pumped up with the engine off, but once I start it, right to the floor.

Feeling pretty dump, Terry

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:01 am

did you bleed the ABS unit also?

terry.cx

Postby terry.cx » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks for your reply. ABS unit? I didn't know I could bleed that. Nothing about it in the manual. Where is that located?
Thanks

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 am

it's on the inside of the frame under the passenger side back door, it'll have the brake lines going into/coming out of it, it looks like a little box and has the same bleeder bolt as the wheels. It's recommended to start with the farthest (driver side) rear wheel, move to the next rear wheel, then do the ABS unit then the pass front then the driver front in that order. Hope that helps

terry.cx

Postby terry.cx » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Unless there is the ABS unit there also, the load balancer is there and the book says to bleed that first, which I did.
I will do it your way and see what happens.
I have been driving her for the last couple days and the pedal is slightly firmer.
Thanks

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:07 pm

sounds like we're talking about the same thing and just using different words, I've never heard it called a load balancer, but I always bleed farthest from the MC and move closer

terry.cx

Postby terry.cx » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Good news. I found that one of the caliper slider pins on the left front was stuck and not removable. I replaced the frame and caliper and the pedal is back to normal. Next to tackle is the ABS light.
Thanks, Terry

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”