ATF or WTF?!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

goblue90

ATF or WTF?!

Postby goblue90 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 am

Also posted this on clubfrontier...

I plan on installing an external trans cooler and fan since I did the radiator cooler bypass and decided to call a few places in the area to see how much they'd charge to flush the transmission on my pathfinder. Here are the results:

1) Independent shop: "We don't service Nissan transmissions because we had a couple instances where the radiator and transmission fluids mixed." I told them I bypassed the radiator cooler and they still said they wouldn't take it in.

2) Nissan dealership A: "It'll be about $225." I asked if they'll be using Nissan Matic-J or S, and the service rep said, "Oh, I forgot... it'll be closer to $275 because of the Nissan fluid."

3) Nissan dealership B: "$189.99." I asked what ATF they use and the service rep said, "... the BG equivalent."

4) Nissan dealership C: "$199... it's a kit, full flush, Nissan synthetic ATF."

:?

Looks like I'll be flushing the transmission myself.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 pm

the nissan stuff isn't synthetic as far as i know. The latest word is that Matic-S does not superceed matic-J. The difference is prob. more in how much fluid the flusher pushes through. I would not go with the BG equivalent. I would flush with whatever fluid your truck came with and expect to use about 14 bottles.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 am

Tech,
So would you recommend J or S for our vehicles, and is J even available anymore? NTB08-049b says to use Matic J if Matic S is not available for 5 speed RWD ATs. I know the mechanic that did my flush used something like 13 quarts of S on my 60k service. I think the Nissan dealer just did a dump and refill at the 30k, but I don't know offhand if it was J or S.

Any truth to J being corrosive and potentially being the issue?

Thanks for the inside scoop! :)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 am

jspitz wrote:Tech,
So would you recommend J or S for our vehicles, and is J even available anymore? NTB08-049b says to use Matic J if Matic S is not available for 5 speed RWD ATs. I know the mechanic that did my flush used something like 13 quarts of S on my 60k service. I think the Nissan dealer just did a dump and refill at the 30k, but I don't know offhand if it was J or S.

Any truth to J being corrosive and potentially being the issue?

Thanks for the inside scoop! :)
J is the only fluid available in my neck of the woods. When I say its superceded by S, I get a 'deer in the headlights' look.

Oh for someone who gives a sh|t as much as I do behind the counter. And by that I mean someone who tries to stay up to date and abreast of exactly these kinds of things. Also asked about rad issues, and they claimed to never have seen one problem at their dealership.

Yeesh.
t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”