Snow tyres

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

morz

Snow tyres

Postby morz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 am

Hi All,

I've recently joined the forum and had a couple of questions regarding tyres for snowy conditions.

I live in NE Scotland at the end of 3/4mi of broken tarmac farm track. At the first sign of snow the track fills up pretty quick, which is all good fun for charging through! Until the morning when you wake up and the track is waist deep in snow in places (I tried it once last year, it didn’t end well…)

Once the track looks like that, the escape route is an old grass track through the woods and across a few of the neighbour’s fields. The snow isn’t nearly as bad going this way but it turns into a muddy slushy mess before the main track is passable.

So, the point is, I currently have 265/65/r17 Runway Enduro HTs on my 06 Path. They are just about done and I need to get new tyres. The Enduros were fine last year on cold snow but once it changed to slush the tyres were spinning in the mud and I was walking in the woods. So should I get more of the same and accept the odd trek to the house or would all terrain (or something else) be a better bet.

I don’t mind losing some mpg and gaining a bit of road noise with more aggressive tyres but I wouldn’t want to increase braking distances for example? I bought the Path to fight through the winter and that is my priority for that car. The wife has a perfectly nice road car if we need to do big miles in the warmer months. So I don’t mind losing some on road niceness to get to and from my house without frostbite, as long as it doesn’t get too dangerous on the highway!

I also think I would need to go up to 265/70 to get a decent range of AT tyres but I don’t think that would be a problem?

Anyway, apologies if I'm asking stupid questions or flogging a topic that has been done to death, any advice would be welcome!

Cheers,

Morz

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 am

I'm going to guess the Runway HT is a "highway tire" which is usually more of a passenger car tread. Anything with a snow or all-terrain tread will be better in DEEP snow. It may be hard to recommend from here in the states as we likely have different tires here in N.A. where most members reside. I have used Nokian snow tires in the past and they were excellent and still had decent dry on-road performance. You should be ok with a 265/70. I would run dedicated snow tires in your situation. In fact I have considered that for myself as I drive a lot of back roads that don't get cleared well. They're not usually deep but a lot of ice. I'm trying a good all-season highway (michelin ltx ms2) but if thsi doesn't work I'll go to dedicated snows next year.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 am

I'm very happy with how my Michelin LTX MS/2's handled last year's snow. They handled pretty much everything and they won't kill your mileage.

Seem to be the perennial favorite tire here too...

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 am

Last year I went from the 265/65r17 to BFG 265/70r17 in the AT. Last winter I had no problem with traction at all. I've been running BFG AT on all my trucks since 2000 and will contine to do so. .

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 pm

I just bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler Territory. It's tread design is very similar to the Goodyear Duratrac as the Territory is sold exclusively by Canadian Tire.

Haven't put them on yet, but very sure it can handle any terrain.

Anyways, here's a website you can browse through.... http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

It lists all the major players and popular models. It also rates each tire in regards to longivity and traction in certain terrains and conditions.

morz

Postby morz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I've got a bit of shopping to do. The first snow of the winter landed yesterday so better get on with it!

Cheers.

Morz

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 am

I'm using Nokian Haakapeliita SUV 265/65R17. Those are pretty good on snow and ice. So far I have no problems on melting gravel roads but I don't know how those are in deep mud.

If the mud level rises up to side mirrors.. you'll stuck anyway. :lol:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”