Wtf sound is this.....

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

Wtf sound is this.....

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

i was doing around 75-80mph and this is the sound i was hearing. Took the truck to nissan and was told they can't duplicate the sound. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side. A friend mentioned a seizing compressor. That then i get to that speed/rpm the compressor isnt being lubed like it should. any thoughts?click on the picture to play the video

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm

The whistly noise, I think it is wind noise. Sounds like wind getting thru a seal or weatherstrip.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Not the wind noise. Had the window slightly cracked. If you listen you will hear a high pictched grinding sound. idk how to explain it

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:08 pm

WTF is :shock: , is the right question. It doesn't appear to be in cabin wind noise, more like something is rubbing under the chasis . Is it me or does the noise seem to be in sinch with the slight up and down of the road as your crusing ?
Id doesn't appear to be AC compressor clutch. Is the noise only at that speed?
What year is it , mileage, etc.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Belt tensioner or timing chain tensioner?

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 pm

twinblown wrote:WTF is :shock: , is the right question. It doesn't appear to be in cabin wind noise, more like something is rubbing under the chasis . Is it me or does the noise seem to be in sinch with the slight up and down of the road as your crusing ?
Id doesn't appear to be AC compressor clutch. Is the noise only at that speed?
What year is it , mileage, etc.
lol figured wtf is what to call it. I've only heard it at 75-80mph. Up or down hills its still the same. Happens with the a/c, heat on or off. doesnt matter. Its an 07 LE 4x4 55k

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 pm

pawjr74 wrote:Belt tensioner or timing chain tensioner?
I was also thinking timing chain tensioner because i do have the typical timing chain guide rattle around 2500rpms and at 75-80mph the rpms are around the same. Had me thinking. anyway to check the belt tensioner to rule it out?

im tempted to mount a camcorder in the enging bay to see if the sound is louder in the bay or if its something in the dash.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:33 pm

I don't know man, the chain tensioner noise if it is the cause would not sound like that, at least in mine is not at all like that; more like a constant chain rubbing lower pitched noise than what your video is.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:18 pm

twinblown wrote:I don't know man, the chain tensioner noise if it is the cause would not sound like that, at least in mine is not at all like that; more like a constant chain rubbing lower pitched noise than what your video is.
Yea after thinking about the sound your probly right. guess one less thing to rule out.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Does it do it at only high speeds (above 70mph)? Was there a cross wind? Do you have a sunroof? It sounds most like a window seal or a peice of trim on the outside vibrating from the wind. My wifes Altima has this same sound at around 90 mph or less if the wind is blowing, her's is the windsheild moulding that runs from the cowl onto the roof.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Storm4.0 wrote:Does it do it at only high speeds (above 70mph)? Was there a cross wind? Do you have a sunroof? It sounds most like a window seal or a peice of trim on the outside vibrating from the wind. My wifes Altima has this same sound at around 90 mph or less if the wind is blowing, her's is the windsheild moulding that runs from the cowl onto the roof.
It only happens at 75-80mph. There wasn't much wind when I recorded it just the window cracked open. Happened today again and its extremely windy. I checked all the plastics and under the hood to make sure everything is tight. Didn't notice anything. From the sound of it its coming from the passenger side

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Wierd,, Ghost? Rat under dash? blower motor (s) have someone drive your vehicle and you be the passenger,than you can try to find the noise. maybe get a cheapo stethoscope..

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:23 pm

NYPathfinder wrote: the sound of it its coming from the passenger side
That's ironic, that's the same side as my wifes Altima. It's gotta be just a moulding or peice of trim catching air and making that sound.

UncleRico

Postby UncleRico » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Sounds to me like the sound is isolated to the cabin area, it seems too loud and clear to be coming from the engine bay or suspension or anywhere outside. I would start with checking all of the air vent doors, make sure the ones that should be closed are FULLY closed and the ones that should be open are not just partially open. If you have a vent door slightly cracked open the air pressure at 75-80 mph could cause a whistle like that - kind of sounds like blowing on a blade of grass. Do you think you may have dropped something down the defroster slot when cleaning the dash?

Hope you find it, that would drive anyone crazy...

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:00 am

i think it's wind noise.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”