2005 Pathy...trailer hitch wiring

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

FRD

2005 Pathy...trailer hitch wiring

Postby FRD » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 pm

My factory connection quit, so I am just wiring up a regular 4 wire flat connector. I have the running and turn signals working, but how do I wire it to get the brake lights to work? I only have the green, yellow, and brown (and white ground) to work with. OR do I also need some type of converter or separate piece to splice in due to the bulb configuration? Any help much appreciated...thanks.

FRD

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 am

Nissan likes to go thru a relay for the trailer wiring connections. Is this to reduce current (amps) thru certain other components? If LED trailer lights are used, amp draw is small and a relay unnecessary in my way of thinking (but am I right?).
You may find it simpler to repair the problem than wire around it.

Let me see if I can walk you thru the steps for the wiring diagram on this forum site:
Just above where your post appears, there is:
Sticky: Service and other Nissan manuals.
In blue letters click on: Service Manual
Go to: Section K Electrical
Go to: LT (Lighting System)
Page LT-64 begins Turn Signals
Page LT-106-115 is for Trailer Towing wiring

Sometimes EBay provides a similar CD manual for a cheep price

FRD

Postby FRD » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks...I will try looking at the manual & diagrams...FRD

luthernil

Postby luthernil » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:12 am

Nissan is fond of making complicated design and wiring for the car to boost performance especially the speed. That is the reason why you have to make sure you have wiring and other parts go electrical repair.

FRD

Postby FRD » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 am

Well I haven't done the job yet to look up the parts and do a fix on the OE type wiring, BUT strangely enuff the Check Eng Light has come on now....I will get the code from Autozone today when I go to town. Strange, but this does happen once in a while and is usually tied to some O2 sensor...will keep ya posted. Thanks...FRD

pathnavara

Postby pathnavara » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 pm

I haven't done this before. But it seems that the brake light switches might be out of adjustments. You can check this link to know the trailer wiring diagrams- www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”